Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my ST about 8 months ago. I just got promoted and have a little extra cash to throw around. I am planning on buying either the MM or the FS CAI. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on an exhaust system. I don't want a ricey sound. I like the sound my Focus puts out now with the stock ST exhaust but I'd like it to be a little louder. Any comments?

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
i opersonally bought the focussport exhaust which I am installing monday. Apparantly the borla system is nice as well. PErsonally, on a 4 cylinder application, I would avoid magnaflow.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I just bought the focussport system for my car yesterday, I heard it on a friends car at a meet and it was just PERFECT! Borla is also a top choice, I had magnaflow on my last focus I liked the sound from the inside but I was told it sounded like crap from the out side.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
yeah, magnaflow sounds great on V8's, but not on four cylinders. The H&R exhaust system sounds really nice too, but it looks ricey in my opinion. It has the round muffler coming out on an angle with the tip coming directly from the muffler.

This site may help.

http://members.cox.net/duratecparts/

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I had another friend of mine that drives a GTI warn me about Magnaflow. The Borla exhaust sounds great but its a little pricey. I don't have THAT much money to toss around. I think I'll go with the FS. And I already have that site bookmarked. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Flowmaster is good too, just dont get the 40 series muffler because those are more muscle car oriented. I have a flowmaster exhaust with a magnaflow high flow cat and it sounds great IMO...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does Flowmaster actually make acat back system for the Focus or is yours custom made? Also does the 2.3 Duratec in the ST have a cat in the exhaust manifold AND one in between the muffler and the headers?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Why are people bothering to put on exhaust systems?

Is it just to change the sound of their vehicle?

Because the test that we've all seen here on exhaust systems only showed a 3-4 hp increase over stock on a 2.0 (112 hp stock to about 115-116hp).

I mean, heck ... my $29 Stealth intake has to give me an honest 6-8hp!

So is it only for the sound then?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's for sound and performance, that intake wouldn't get good gains like 6-8whp unless you had an exhuast...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I dont think flowmaster makes a cat back system for our cars, i got a custom one made. ^^^It is deffinitely cheaper though [:)] If the ST is like 03-04 Duratec, then there is a cat in the manifold and one after it...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
FocusFreak87 said:
It's for sound and performance, that intake wouldn't get good gains like 6-8whp unless you had an exhuast...
I have read otherwise as it relates specifically to intake gains for '05/'06 Foci.

Remember, you have the '04 Focus, but I have an '06.

So I'm one of the one's who HAD that 6 ft. long monstrosity of an intake!

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have any sound clips of the flowmasters? What muffler are you running on it?

·
Registered
367 Posts
firemanfrank said:
I have read otherwise as it relates specifically to intake gains for '05/'06 Foci.

Remember, you have the '04 Focus, but I have an '06.

So I'm one of the one's who HAD that 6 ft. long monstrosity of an intake!

Hey man I hear what you’re saying. I've had a cold air intake and TB on my car for the past 6 months. I felt a little power gain but mostly it was response that was affected. I just got my MBRP cat back on the car today and WOW what a difference in power. Sorry to contradict you but I can really feel the difference especially between 4500 and 6000rpms. Forget about what you have read because I've read it to and trust me when I say that the exhaust that I've just put on my car has made a far bigger difference in power then both the TB and CAI put together. Keep in mind that I also removed the same stock intake which you had on your car. The car pulls much better between that range especially in 2nd and 3rd. I am loving it! The thing that scares me is I've not driven by myself yet, my wife has been in the car every time I've driven it since and it feels faster then it did when I was driving it by myself! Even my wife feels it.

I am also worried that tomorrow I'll be driving like a mad man because I'll have the car to myself.

·
Registered
367 Posts
sharon5384 said:
I am running the focussport system also and it comes with a part so that you can delete the second CAT but I didn't use that part I just kept the CAT

Here is a sound clip of mine...
http://media.putfile.com/exhaust-clip-two
The second cat is one of the main things that is chocking your car! You should have cut it.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
I think I will do that tomorrow with my new welder. [:D]

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
isnt that kindof illegal though...like...bye bye emissions test....i would do that and not care and pay off someone.....but i plan on selling it later in life so i dont want to screw over the person i sell it to

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
It takes about 20-30 mins to remove the CAT or install the CAT.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The Mailman 666 said:
The second cat is one of the main things that is chocking your car! You should have cut it.
Are you sure it's the second cat? It would seem Ford has a lot more room to work with under the car and that the manifold cat would have to be much smaller to fit in, well, the manifold. Wouldn't that be part of why a header helps a Duratec as much as does (because the mani-cat goes away)? And don't some of the guys running headers keep the second cat and still see very respectible gains?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts