Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so what would be the difference in going with the Focus Sport exhaust or getting a new exhaust of the same diameter put on by an exhaust shop? What all goes into the making of an exhaust? I'm thinking of adding one to my Foci.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The material of the tubing, how the tubing is bent, the type and size of the resonator (if used) and muffler would be differences between the two. I don't know what parts FS uses in their exhaust (probably their own), but you can buy mufflers and resonators from companies like Magnaflow and Borla and have a custom exhaust made with them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well what I am/would be looking to do is a completely new exhaust. I live in Indiana so a catalytic converter is not needed. I'd like a distinct sound, nothing ricey, and nothing that would cause anyone to think that some badass, tricked out car is coming down the road, just something nice and smooth.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Well, then you definitley want the largest straight through resonator you can fit and a good muffler. With a race header, 2.5" flex, and a good 2.5" exhaust, that shouldn't be too loud. Much louder than stock, but the resonator should quiet it down quite a bit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eh I do want to go all out and get a race header too. It's an SPI engine. I heard that allowing the engine to breathe better (better intake exhaust and tune) actually helps the engine as long as it doesn't spend too much time in the higher rpms. I like to get on it sometimes but not often and the extra power would be appreciated . But I don't want to get too extreme.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The exhaust will definitley wake the car up. Just make sure not to go to big. You may want to stay with a 2.25" system if you don't have some big plans for the motor or you may loose power down low.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So a 2.25 diameter pipe allthe way back?

·
Registered
461 Posts
that header will allow your engine to breathe better, and allow more effieient air flow. also, it keeps the exhaust gases hotter than the stock manifold, cold air is good coming in, but hot air is good going out : )

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would mostly go with FS catback. i have heard it and yea its loud, but it gives you what you need. What do u have for and intake yet?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I have and probably will have for an intake is a K&N High Flow Air Filter, it helps trust me...I can feel the boost, although minimal, in power on the little SPI. I may get an SRI, but it floods alot here so a CAI is out of the question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts