Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Exhaust question!

3950 18
I just ordered a brand new Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust for my Focus! I can't wait to put it on, it comes with all hardware to clamp together and bolt on, does anyone know if I should just do it that way, or should I have it welded? I know it is more challenging to weld stainless, and I don't want to mess it up, I also don't want to void the lifetime warranty.

Are there any advantages to welding that are actually worthwhile? I don't want to spend extra money if it won't make much of a difference.

Thanks guys!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Leave it as is. Think of the advantages of being able to remove it without a sawzall. If you assemble and install it properly, it will be just fine.

And enjoy! I got an FSWerks stainless steel cat-back some time ago, and I love it. You'll drive with your windows down more often, count on that! =)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Leave it as is. Think of the advantages of being able to remove it without a sawzall. If you assemble and install it properly, it will be just fine.

And enjoy! I got an FSWerks stainless steel cat-back some time ago, and I love it. You'll drive with your windows down more often, count on that! =)
x2
i had my mind set on welding my trubendz, but when i had to cut and wiggle out the stock one,too much of a pain in the ass. and im happy i went with the clamps. just in case i have to remove it for some reason

·
GoKart and Me!!!
14,289 Posts
I just ordered a brand new Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust for my Focus! I can't wait to put it on, it comes with all hardware to clamp together and bolt on, does anyone know if I should just do it that way, or should I have it welded? I know it is more challenging to weld stainless, and I don't want to mess it up, I also don't want to void the lifetime warranty.

Are there any advantages to welding that are actually worthwhile? I don't want to spend extra money if it won't make much of a difference.

Thanks guys!
Leave it as is.

·
Big Blue 2.0
1,546 Posts
I agree with the above posters, Leave it as it is... if it were meant to be welded than it would not be made as it is.

Besides, never know when you will need your warranty [thumb]

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Its made as it is for ease of installation to your average consumer. Welding it will always provide a better seal to the exhaust and keep it more solid over its life. The only downside is the lack of being able to take it apart again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do you say I will drive with the windows down? It's a bit late and I'm not quite thinking clearly ;)

Oh and thanks everyone! You guys rock! I appreciate your help! I am so anxious now, my tracking number says it will be here Friday, I am counting down the minutes. I am dying for the winter to end, I have a set of 18" rims and a body kit to throw on, but not before winter, I don't want those to be short-lived!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Why do you say I will drive with the windows down? It's a bit late and I'm not quite thinking clearly ;)

Oh and thanks everyone! You guys rock! I appreciate your help! I am so anxious now, my tracking number says it will be here Friday, I am counting down the minutes. I am dying for the winter to end, I have a set of 18" rims and a body kit to throw on, but not before winter, I don't want those to be short-lived!
You will drivewith your windows down more often,just to hear that sweet exhaust note better!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome....get some video of it so we can hear it!
Will do! I'm an audio/recording tech, I'm going to try and get a high quality sound clip! I was trying to decide what sound I wanted based off those YouTube vids where people just set their video camera by the tailpipe, and it drove me nuts! You could hear more of the wind than the car.. Lol

·
Aurelius Pardus
28,525 Posts
nice! so was it the actual "Magnaflow" brand kit? It's easy to install, huh? takes like 10 minutes literally.

I don't know what you guys are talking about band clamps for. it uses slip joints that are held together with exhaust clamps.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Will do! I'm an audio/recording tech, I'm going to try and get a high quality sound clip! I was trying to decide what sound I wanted based off those YouTube vids where people just set their video camera by the tailpipe, and it drove me nuts! You could hear more of the wind than the car.. Lol
LoL
Cool,I direct indpendent Horror films.
Check out my Youtube exhaust video:
Its here on FF but run Focus ZX4 Exhaust and mines under user ROTTINGDEAD.
Post a real link when I can find it....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice! so was it the actual "Magnaflow" brand kit? It's easy to install, huh? takes like 10 minutes literally.

I don't know what you guys are talking about band clamps for. it uses slip joints that are held together with exhaust clamps.
It took me about a half an hour, mainly because I only had a set of ramps, no lift or anything, so I only had the front end elevated. The hardest part of putting it on was the middle piece with the muffler, it was a little tough to reach the hanger above the rear suspension.

A quick tip, take a can of WD-40 and spray it on the rubber hangers!! It will make it so much easier to get the exhaust system in and out of them!!! Just note that it will smell awful for a little while until it all burns off.. Lol

It was a true Magnaflow, and I didn't realize how awful my old exhaust was until I ripped it off! The resonator up front on the straight pipe became plugged at one point, so I cut it off and replaced it with a piece of flex-pipe. The muffler was really rusted, so I cut it off and clamped on a cheap one from my local parts store, and I also cut off the "lunch box" resonator at the end of the system at one point and put a piece of straight pipe there. It sounded better than stock, but wow was it pathetic!!!

Guys, thanks again for your input, and I will definitely check out that YouTube Vid!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.