Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[hihi] I am still a rookie as you can see, but I have wanted a turbo kit for my focus since i started getting into this stuff. So not knowing about it i bought a 2.25 magnaflow cat-back exhaust. Now if eventually i want that turbo kit would i need a 2.5 as told by many ppl? Does .25 make all the difference? Cause as i know there are other type of cars with turbo and a stock exhaust not at all 2.5.... i appreciate the feedback, thanks

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
depends on what kind of power you want to make. but bigger is always better when talking about a turbo car. if you are going to change your exhaust dont get a 2.5 just go ahead and get a 3"

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eventually i want to bring it up to 300-hp, that is my goal.....but i have alot to occomplish before then and it might be awhile before i can get to it. I have been planning on keeping the zetec engine, but replacing stock peices here and there so it can withstand the power from a turbo. Lol but I know what I read and are taught yet not a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
i would just go 3in that is what i did

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, def. the 3 in then!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
man 3" would be nice! but for n/a and lower power cars, I think you'd end up losing some power because theres like zero backpressure or something, and you still need a little bit of it. BTW, sounds like you have the same exhaust I'm gonna be putting on in two days..... how do you like it, what does it sound like? [;)] but yeah, with a 2.25" system, you're just holding back some extra power you'd otherwise free up with bigger tubing

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
man 3" would be nice! but for n/a and lower power cars, I think you'd end up losing some power because theres like zero backpressure or something, and you still need a little bit of it. BTW, sounds like you have the same exhaust I'm gonna be putting on in two days..... how do you like it, what does it sound like? [;)] but yeah, with a 2.25" system, you're just holding back some extra power you'd otherwise free up with bigger tubing
Tom did a test on a svt with 3in exhaust and it gained torque and horsepower

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
yeah that is completely wrong. tom has proven there are gains to be had all the way across the power band with a 3" and you will loose nothing any where. 3" is the way to go if you want to make 300 some day.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help, but its going to be a long time before I get the turbo, so I have plenty of time to get my use out of this 2.25 system. Anywho right now I'm putting my eyes to my suspension. YAY!

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
yeah that is completely wrong. tom has proven there are gains to be had all the way across the power band with a 3" and you will loose nothing any where. 3" is the way to go if you want to make 300 some day.
O hahaha thanks Tim

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Tom did a test on a svt with 3in exhaust and it gained torque and horsepower
note I said lower power cars..... mainly the SPI lol, but hey, what do I know? I just found out about exhaust sizes after I bought mine [:D]

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
who sells 3" exhaust cat-back systems? i can only find 2.5

1 - 15 of 15 Posts