Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 3.5 inch muffler that im going to have welded on this week. Just wondering what sounds best. should i leave the stock muffler and cat on, take off the stock muffler, or take off the stock muffler and cat and put in a resonator?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
ok....again, I'm not SVT, BUT I can tell you that resonators tend to reduce noise, so if it's really loud then you'd definitely want to get one of those. probably want to use the muffler though......if you have the "lunchbox" muffler as stock. those things are ugly as hell [:)] as for the other stuff, someone will know :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
O no. That sounds like a fart CAn. Its gonna sound terrible no matter what you put on it. Just get a proper Flex back system.

·
Registered
191 Posts
rock the noise my exhaust sounds great and youtube has alot of exhaust shorts for the svt

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
3.5" is really big. If you're not upgrading anything else, I would use a 2.5" muffler instead. Don't put it all the way in the back either, cause it'll look ridiculous. [;)]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah im gonna say if you're N/A u should not go to 3.5" thats a wee bit too big 2.5" is good and it will also allow for low pressure boost if you decide to do that down the line.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually discovered once i got it that its not true 3.5 its like 2, just has a 3.5 outlet. I got it free from a buddy, just gonna use it till i can afford to get a full exhaust.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Seriously, don't. You have a fartcan muffler in your hands, and it will look and sound horrible, AND be a restriction in your exhaust if it's only 2" diameter (causing loss of power).

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
You just cut the rear lunch box muffler off? Even if you take it completely off it won't sound hardly any different. You sound is muffled mainly in the resonators. If you get a Magnaflow or Borla Resonator and muffler it will sound much much better and look better with a proper tip on there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I knew that it wouldnt change the sound much, but i think it looks decent and it was free... I just dont want it to sound like a honda which is why i only took off the "lunch box". When i can afford a full exhaust i will get one, but 400 bucks is a little much for me right now.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
You should've just left it alone... you made the exhaust worse, not better. But hey, it's your car, go nuts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
fart cannon FTL! not a fan...but its your car...do what you want

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
[scratch] [hatchet] [nono] [bash] [?|] [slap]

Sorry dude, not a fan at all! You should have had the exhaust shop cut the lunchbox off, cut the tip off of the lunch box and weld a pipe in place of the lunch box with the stock tip in place. Looks better and sounds a little louder but same tone.

As far as getting a new exhaust on down the road.....it's not worth it. The SVT exhaust is already very good. The gains you will see from a full exhaust system will be minimal to non-existent. The SVT exhaust is full mandrel bent tubing all the way back and is very free flowing with the exception of the resonators and cat(which has to be on there for environmental purposes).

My advice, spend the money you were going to spend on an exhaust on a tune and a short ram intake. And get rid of that fart canon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm with most of the rest of the people here, your fart can will not make your car go faster, sound better (unless you like cops following you around) or look better.
The stock exhaust on an SVT is tuned for the stock SVT motor. So unless you plan on adding a turbo, port/polishing or something along those lines the most you are likely to do is lower or gas milege. But hey it's your can and your money. Just don't be suprized when gearheads laugh at.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts