Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Titanium Hatch 2.0
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get some noise from the exhaust and preferably if I can just do a direct bolt-on replacement for some parts. I am thinking I wanna delete one cat and put a test pipe and if that isn't good enough then putting some Flowmaster muffler or something on later. I just can't find where or how to do this. I'm also not trying to spend as little as possible. Literally any info helps.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Hatchback 2.0
72 Posts
The Borla system I got is all bolt together. You'll have to unbolt your stock cat-back from the flange then make a couple cuts in the stock piping to get it all out. Then the Borla botls back in pretty easily.

As far as the cat, mine had one from the factory that is integrated into the exhaust manifold so you can't remove it. I also replaced that with a magnaflow. Now if I remember right, there is a resonator in the stock that's a few feet down from the cat. The Borla also comes with one and sounds great with it on, but I'm sure if you really wanted you can get a piece of pipe from an auto store to replace it. You might end up with too little back pressure, but not certain of that or what effects it could ultimately have good or bad. Some of the other guys here may have more insight on that aspect.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus 2.0 DirectFlex PowerShit
3 Posts
I am trying to get some noise from the exhaust and preferably if I can just do a direct bolt-on replacement for some parts. I am thinking I wanna delete one cat and put a test pipe and if that isn't good enough then putting some Flowmaster muffler or something on later. I just can't find where or how to do this. I'm also not trying to spend as little as possible. Literally any info helps.
338 / 5000

on my SE Plus '16, I simply removed the last OE muffler and at the inlet I have a high-flow inbox filter. Overall, the noise outside was excellent and inside the car relatively less. If you're going to do something like that, be sure to extend the exhaust outlet beyond the bumper, otherwise you'll have a lot of resonance inside the car, mainly during harder accel.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus 2.0 DirectFlex PowerShit
3 Posts
338 / 5000

on my SE Plus '16, I simply removed the last OE muffler and at the inlet I have a high-flow inbox filter. Overall, the noise outside was excellent and inside the car relatively less. If you're going to do something like that, be sure to extend the exhaust outlet beyond the bumper, otherwise you'll have a lot of resonance inside the car, mainly during harder accel.
In time, this type of work does not require a workshop with many resources, but it will have to have a machine that bends the barrel in the correct measures until "outside" of the bumper.

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,519 Posts
As bnvill84 said there's only one cat it's integrated with the manifold and besides removing a cat is a foolish idea. Even if it were possible it would be highly illegal and do nothing but cause problems with no performance gain. All you would get is more noise but the PCM would have problems with the air/fuel mixture and register lean codes. Just buy an FSWerks or Borla cat back and be happy with it like everyone else is. Noise just for the sake of noise is dumb as it has to sound clean and good with no drone or what's the point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts