Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I know that this subject has been tossed around everywhere but I want to get all my facts straight in one thread instead of bits and pieces. I currently have a Zetec engine with a 2.25" "y" pipe, cat-back exhaust that was already on the car when I bought it. I am not going FI and currently just have a ractive intake. I wanted to know the best combo to go with headers and/or high-flow cat. Also, I live in Ohio and we have that stupid e-check so it still needs to pass. If I go with the racing long piped headers will I not pass the e-check? I've heard a lot about the SVT headers but what do I need for that (will it pass an e-check?). Any help will be great since I'm still new to the aftermarket game.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey yeah I'm pretty new as well but from what I've heard and read if you have a Cat-back exhaust system, I may be wrong and please correct me if I am, but you don't need a catalytic converter. For the Zx3 model I would recommend the Focus Sport headers and Exhaust....

But thats just my 2 cents..... *flame suit on*

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
if you have something like e-check, i'm guessing that has something to do with emissions, and you WILL need a catalytic converter. don't really know what the 2.25" y pipe system is, but if you're not planning on going f/i or really aggressive n/a a 2.25" exhaust should be just fine. but as for a header/cat combo, you really can't go wrong with the svt header. and paired up with the random technologies high flow cat from mcnews and a flex pipe, you will still be emissions legal.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Some people do pass emissions with a focus and no cat converter, but it's no guarantee. To stay street and emissions legal you're best bet is the SVT setup. If you go with the SVT system, be sure to then get a Cat converter for the SVT. Also, don't forget to uprade your flexpipe as well. If you're looking to upgrade the catback as well, Borla is generally considered the best with magnaflow a close second. If you want to save a few bucks, trubendz.com makes exhausts with cheaper piping, but with the same mufflers. 2.25" is more than enough exhaust for non F/I.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the svt set-up is the way to go then. Thanks for the inputs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts