Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to modify the exhaust on my ZX3 manual, but I don't want to get something installed that makes it sound like a ricer's car. I came from a V8 Olds Aurora so I love the deep grumble. If I can't get a fairly deep V6 sound, would I be able to silence it more without losing much performance?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I came from an aurora too!!!!!! Can't beat the northstar sound. Cut out the lunchbox and call it a day sounds awesome

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ive had the Trubendz 2.5" with Magnaflow and resonator and now have a new car with the FSWerks Race Exhaust and the FSW sounds by far the best exhaust ive ever heard on a focus. It can get a little loud, which is why they come with a stealth kit (extra muffler). I dont find it that loud though unless you're driving like a durp a durp.

http://fswerks.com/exhaust.htm

You probably wont get near a v6 sound but the FSW is a deep sounding exhaust. Take a listen to their clips.

*edit*
cutting the lunchbox resonator makes it sound a little tinny really. Doesnt sound terrible but i think it needs to be deeper.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Deeper would be nice for sure but for a price tag of free and maybe an extra 15 bucks for pipe and a tip at autozone you can't go wrong at all

·
Registered
485 Posts
i have a resonator delete and a spectre short ram intake and my focus sounds really beefy, i get kudos every where i go for how she sounds and plus it makes honda ppl shit their pants and they wont race me lol

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
My Borla SVT set-up sounds great and it has a resonator...

Just make sure you keep the cat. Thats what makes "em sound crappy. I like the way a good resonator sounds, also go as big a diameter as you can 3" sounds great!

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
The hks sounds really deep and awesome BUT the look screams rice lol. FSWERKS 2.5 stealth done deal

·
Registered
115 Posts
You could buy a good sounding muffler and have an exhaust place put it in for you. Then you can go with something that sounds good and you won't have to worry about it looking to ricey.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
^^ putting an aftermarket muffler on tiny stock piping doesn't do the trick at least with 4 cylinders

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was refering to having them put on more than just the muffler. you probably won't be able to get a nice sounding muffler that will just go in place of your old one. You would need to have them fab up the whole exhaust including the flexpipe. I was simply saying you can usually find a good sounding muffler that isn't a can. If you can't, then grab some high temp paint and paint the muffler. I did that with my Talon. I didn't like the look, but I liked the sound so I just painted it black.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Focussport Header, flex/ Stealth connected to my FRPP's Borla= awesome deep tone for a 4 cylinder motor! No Rice or tin here! Either do it right or don't do it at all.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
i have a orp and lunchbox delete and love the way it sounds... low rpms sound a little "tinny/raspy" but over 2200 rpm and the sound gets really beefy...
just my 2 cents...

it has a nice deep low rumble at idle too.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
I might have missed it, but what engine do you have?

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Fast forward to 1 minute and 3 seconds for exhaust. I have a catback exhaust system and FSwerks CAI.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love the sound of my cat-back MBNR exhaust kit. Deep rumble. No "drone" when cruising at speed, so no headaches on a long trip. And absolutely no ricey "bumble bees in a tin can" sound. I hate that import sound too.

I used to have a Borla kit on my old Cougar... that one sounded good too. No rice!

·
VEKTOR PLATE
5,657 Posts
svt header, 2.5 orp, stock flex. and svt borla catback. nice and subtle around town. and a blast when your on it. however i want to weld up my own flowmaster 3" setup.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
^^ putting an aftermarket muffler on tiny stock piping doesn't do the trick at least with 4 cylinders
just a muffler does help, all ive got is a magnaflow muffler on stock exhaust. got the muffler free and it fit perfectly were the stock muffler was. next im taking out the resanator and putting a resanated tip on see how that does.

just a muffler wont make it sound like a v6 for sure but it does give it a nicer sleeper like growl to it. just as loud as stock but a deeper growl. ill see if i can get a sound clip or vid of mine sometime

1 - 20 of 20 Posts