Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my 2000 Focus LX from a auto auction and it seems to be leaking exhaust from underneath the hood. I removed the heat sheild to view the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter and it looks to me like the leak is coming from the catalytic converter, about 7 inches below the O2 sensor. I have little experience fixing cars and was wondering if this seams possible. I know the car was involved in an accident 4 years ago and was thinking maybe it broke? The car also gives off some bad smelling exhaust, but I assume it has been a while since it was driven - 2 months? I'm considering replacing the catalytic converter to see if it improves, but it is a little pricey. I wanted to know if anyone else has delt with a problem similar to this. Any help would be great.
-Thanks

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Can you see the leak?? If its a small crack, just have it welded, if its a good weld it will hold for a long time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I'll crawl under it tonight and try to locate a crack, the problem is I found out it has a salvage title and I have to go through an extensive inspection to get the car back on the road. But I'll look into getting it welded, I am also worried about the horrible smelling exhaust, I doubt it will pass inspection the way it is. Could a new converter fix this?
-Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your Exhaust leak is causing this horrible smell especially if it is before the cat. But a cat could not hurt it any. Also the cat could be bad and could cause that horrible smell too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey everyone,
I climbed under the car tonight after work and took a good look around. I couldn't see any crack and couldn't locate exactly where the leak was coming from, however it seemed in general that there was a lot of exhaust coming from the joint between the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifold. I am wondering if it is just a bad gasket that fits in there that needs to be replaced. I think I'll look into the gasket and see if that doesn't fix things first before I spend more money on a brand new cat. It also seems that the horrible smell is coming from the exhaust leak and there is hardly any exhaust coming out the back end tail pipe although there is a ton of water coming out the tail pipe, I don't think there is much smell the the exhaust coming out the tail pipe though. I'll keep you posted,
Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone,

I managed to get the gasket off the joint between the cat and the exhaust manifold. When I removed it I found it was broken, the metal and the ring were not continous. Hopefully this is the problem, I ordered a new gasket from the dealership for $6.00 today, I'll probably get around to installing it Sat. I'll let you all know how it goes.
-Chad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright,
New update,
The gasket is on the car and I still have smoke. Guess I'll need to put on a new cat, maybe a new exhaust manifold as well, I don't know. I'm kind of nervous to blow a bunch of money on parts when I'm not completely sure if it is what it needs. Maybe I'll take it to the mechanic?
-Chad

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
take it to a dealer if the cat is broken it has like an 8 or 10 year warranty, else off road pipe and your choice of any sedan exhaust

1 - 8 of 8 Posts