Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have just purchased the MBRP system for my 2014 ST and am looking for a good shop in the area to install it for me. Yes, I know I could do it myself, but I don't have a lift and I don't feel like squeezing under the car while on ramps. I also want to make sure no exhaust leaks happen. So far I have found Flowtek exhaust, which looks like a great shop just pricey at $180 plus tax. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Focus Factor
3,617 Posts
Hey everyone. I have just purchased the MBRP system for my 2014 ST and am looking for a good shop in the area to install it for me. Yes, I know I could do it myself, but I don't have a lift and I don't feel like squeezing under the car while on ramps. I also want to make sure no exhaust leaks happen. So far I have found Flowtek exhaust, which looks like a great shop just pricey at $180 plus tax. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I personally have installed about 6 exhaust on focus STs. I do it in my garage on jack stands. I installed an mbrp system on my ST when I had it.
You have to simply cut the stock exhaust in from the rear wheel right before it goes over the rear axle. Unbolt crossmember under the car. Remove old exhaust and squeeze in the new one. Are you doing just a catback or downpipe as well?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Focus Factor
3,617 Posts
What part of town are you in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was it an easy install? It is just the catback system. I would have to rent a power hand saw and a hanger removal tool, but I could have it done in 2-3 hours if you say it was a smooth install. I am currently a student at UC but my parents live in Wyoming which is where I would put the exhaust in.

·
Focus Factor
3,617 Posts
I've never used a hanger removal tool. And yes it's fairly straight forward. It's just a matter of taking your time and being thorough. I usually spend more time checking for leaks and making sure the tips are positioned to my liking than I do actually bolting the exhaust on. I could be talked into doing it if you were interested. I'm on the east side of town. Williamsburg to be exact. About 40 mins from campus. I have all the tools needed to do the job. Biggest issue for you would be transporting the stock exhaust as it would be in two pieces. I believe it fits ok in the hatch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you say it is an easy install then I should be able to do it. I'm free on Saturday, so I will probably do it then. Thanks for your help! I will follow up with a picture of my finished work.

·
Super Moderator
9,527 Posts
Bolt on exhausts are simple to do. There isn't a reason a buddy and yourself could have it banged out in a couple of hours. As Nick said, if you can't get it, there are plenty of us on here that can help you. If you were wanting a completely custom exhaust that had to be welded in, that would be a different story then lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took a solid 3 hours on jack and jack stands to do but I got it done with a little help from a friend. Unfortunately I have an exhaust leak in two sections where the clamps are. Has anyone gone through this problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used all 4 clamps and used an electric impact to tighten them and there is still a very slight exhaust leak. I'm going to call the company I ordered from tomorrow and if they cannot sort the issue I will take it to a local exhaust shop and have them check it I guess.

·
Focus Factor
3,617 Posts
I have installed a couple of the MBRP setups and they usually go together pretty well for me. Making sure you have full engagement at each joint is key. Also depending on the size of the leak, if its really small it will carbon up quickly and basically seal itself, one small advantage of DI engines... Other than that, thats why I say I usually spend more time making sure the fitment(including checking leaks) is to my liking than I actually do removing the old one and putting the new one in the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will drive on it for a while and this weekend I will check again for leaks. If it is still there I will try to get my neighbors air powered impact and torque the band clamps down.

·
Focus Factor
3,617 Posts
Shouldn't really need anymore torque than your electric impact...or honestly even just using a ratchet should be more than sufficient. Just be careful not to strip the bolts.

·
Super Moderator
9,527 Posts
Tightening down too much on those clamps will actually bend the pipes as well. So if you had a leak before, it can possibly make it worse. They shouldn't be tightened more than you can tighten it with a ratchet in your hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I'll take another look at the whole system and hopefully I find what's wrong. Thanks for your help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts