Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 ZX3.
recently purchased a focuspower 4-1 header and flex and finally got a chance to install it last night. found out the the O2 sensor cheat with the spark plug foulers does not work because they do not fit. It is connected to my 2.5 exhaust and i am awaiting a front piece with a cat and resonator welded in already. I started up the car and it is very loud which I was expecting. what worries me most is that most of the noise is coming from the engine bay. It almost sounds like a leak in the front, but everything is torqued. I am mostly wondering if this could be a problem with the EGR, and if an EGR delete would be recommended. I will be working on it more tonight to see if I can solve it. front pipe should come thursday. I will take video and post it tomorrow if I cannot figure it out.
any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
an EGR delete would not be recomended by this forum because removing or disableing the EGR is not leagal.

So the O2 sensor is not installed? (for me at least) I am not quite sure what you are saying. the O2 sensor cheat does not fit. Does this mean you have a open hole in your exhauts. You also said your waiting on a "custom" CAT and resinator peice.

If you are looking for a leak you need to make sure you ahve your whole exhaust put together first. once you have that, and assuming the engine is cool, get some water (soap added would be ideal) and use a squirt bottle around the exhaust while running and see if any bubles form, or even run your hand around.

Unfortunatly the audio quality gets compressed so much that the quality drops, posting a video of an exhaust leak on the internet will not yeild you much in terms of diagnosing.

turn the focus on and run your hand around the seals and ports on the exhaust and you should be able to go from there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both O2 sensors are installed, EGR installed, entire exhaust is put together.
I was talking about the fouler cheat where you stack two foulers on top of each other and then screw it onto the #2 O2 sensor.
it is in the How-To section

i just got my replacement front pipe today so i will be able to check that as well.

there is back pressure at the end of the exhaust so if there is a leak it has to be minimal.

I was also wondering if anyone else has this exhaust manifold and could reply and tell me that their car also sounds like a race car. then I would know how to begin to go about this

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Well, they are called "race" headers. Your car should be loud with them on. If you want to quiet it down, pair it up with the stealth exhaust.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Is it much louder like you have not put on the gaskets correctly, or is it much louder in a didn't use header wrap way, or is it much louder in a I have a leak kind of way.

The noise level increases dramatically with one of these headers and if you don't have a catalytic converter on it, it will be even louder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no it is not wrapped. the gaskets were put in correctly.

I am worried about a leak in the EGR.

I will be putting the cat/resonator in tonight and i will let you know if it quiets it up at all

is there a certain amount of time you have to let the car run to get used to the new set up?

·
Registered
178 Posts
My brother has a protege and all his sound was coming from his engine bay. He just put a new exhaust on about two weeks ago. He told me when I got home tonight that he has a hole in his "j" pipe. I don't know if our cars have that but it's worth a shot to see if you have any holes somewhere

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the responses, it was a problem with the manifold seal. fixed it and also put my trubendz cat/resonator front pipe in and it sounds very nice! very happy with it! can't wait to take it for a spin!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the focus sport 4-1 race header, and blocked off the EGR hole with a penny, high temp silicone, and just installed the tube like normal. ive have alot of trouble completely sealing off that damned connection. also the focus werks 2.5 SS flex along with their 2.5 stealth exhaust. my car is still pretty loud, but its much more bearable than the straight pipes i had b4. could you post a pic of this trubendz cat/resonator? I would love to quiet my little DD some more.

an EGR delete would not be recomended by this forum because removing or disableing the EGR is not leagal.
Really? i dont think that race header is "street" legal either. There are companies that sell plates to delete this and also ppl that can flash his ECU to delete it also, are you saying that these ppl are breaking the law?

or is it much louder in a didn't use header wrap way
the only reason to wrap ur headers is if your having trouble with temps under you hood. its not going to make it noticeably quieter, and it will probably make his header rust prematurely, or even crack.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts

I don't think you should speak for the forum like that. I been here a long while and never heard anything like that. Now we do like to keep it clean and more "family" oriented. Thus your comment is unfounded.

Legality is all in the user end, not ours. If help is needed then we try to help. Is disabling the EGR illegal yes, but it has been in the help section since the start of the forum. It is for the user to decide if it is for him to use or not.

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
Really? i dont think that race header is "street" legal either. There are companies that sell plates to delete this and also ppl that can flash his ECU to delete it also, are you saying that these ppl are breaking the law?

the only reason to wrap ur headers is if your having trouble with temps under you hood. its not going to make it noticeably quieter, and it will probably make his header rust prematurely, or even crack.
I don't think you should speak for the forum like that. I been here a long while and never heard anything like that. Now we do like to keep it clean and more "family" oriented. Thus your comment is unfounded.

Legality is all in the user end, not ours. If help is needed then we try to help. Is disabling the EGR illegal yes, but it has been in the help section since the start of the forum. It is for the user to decide if it is for him to use or not.
Technically speaking he is half right. Altering or removing the emissions systems is against the law but the people on the forum can not be held liable for any information they pass along. It is the sole discression of the person performing the act (i.e. disabling emissions controls). So basically what it boils down to is that you are the one that is taking responsibility for your actions. But there are a lot of places across the nation that don't bother doing vehicle inspections and wouldn't be any the wiser. The guy went for an FSwerks race header which completely eliminates the catalytic converter all together so he knew what he was doing. Now he is having a catalytic converter further downstream whichy by that point probably won't be serving a purpose since the cat works best at higher temperatures (meaning it needs to be closer to the exhaust manifold). All in all, let him do what he wants to his car since he is the one that will have to deal with any problems later down the road.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes these people are breaking the law.
As for the cat down stream it will get you car to pass in MA/RI
the emissions by our state don't have to be in origional location just hooked up and working. WE don't care where your cat is as long as it's there. brings a race header back to "STREET LEGAL"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did not realize this thread was still going...I got everything hooked up, EGR and all. I do have to pick up an MIL eliminator due to my one O2 sensor wires not being long enough. I can post a picture of the setup but it is on my car already, and i will try and post up a video of the sound. Emissions tests are not around here so i more or less just wanted a cat on the car.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I did not realize this thread was still going...I got everything hooked up, EGR and all. I do have to pick up an MIL eliminator due to my one O2 sensor wires not being long enough. I can post a picture of the setup but it is on my car already, and i will try and post up a video of the sound. Emissions tests are not around here so i more or less just wanted a cat on the car.
I'm glad you got it fixed. I suspected it would be a seal.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
I apologize and should have worded my comment differently; I do not speak on behalf of the forum but rather as a user like most others on this community. I understand that there are tech sections and forum approved threads giving the necessary tools to do any desired modification to your Focus. However these are usually carefully worded and approved by the moderators of the forum to be consistent with the forum rules. ANY removal of or disabling any part of the emissions system, regardless if the state does emission testing or not, is illegal and is not allowed on a “street” car which is licensed and registered to be driven on public roads. In my past involvement on other automotive forums, forums usually do not wish to get involved with the exchange of illegal activity. Most posts of such nature should specify (regardless of the truthfulness of the statement) that any such modifications are for a track car. Most states (I think all but CA) will allow adjustments to the emissions system (move the CAT, Replace the CAT with Hi-Flow, aftermarket components) as long as everything is still in working function as per delivered by the manufacture.

Back on topic, congrats on getting everything worked out, Did the seal not sit properly when you tightened everything down? I believe you mentioned that the header was fully tight against the head in one of your first posts. As far as the O2’s you can lengthen the wires by cutting them and adding in the amount of wire needed. This is what I have done on my SVT conversion. The Cat is further down stream then on the factory ZX3 so the length of wire on the O2’s and the wire harness for the car I need to lengthen my O2’s by about 2-3 feet. I get the same gauge wire, cut the wire on the O2’s in the middle and solder to the O2’s then seal off with putting a small layer of gasket sealer under some heat shrink. Put in a split plastic wire loom to make it look clean

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The FS header has the O2 bungs down near the connection to the flex. i removed some of the wiring from the loom for the first sensor and got it to fit, but there is no way to get the second (blue) sensor further out of the loom. I originally thought of doing the wire extension but i do want to get rid of the check engine light. I originally was going to use the foulers, did the process all the way up to putting them in, and then found out that they are too long and run into the transmission.

My leak came from a part of my header being tightened against an old cat bracket, therefore causing it to not seal all the way. i didn't see it right away because i was finishing up in the dark with very limited light. (shop is almost done now)[:)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts