Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After researching for some time now, the overwhelming consensus is that the stock SVT focus exhaust system is a good system; it's high flowing, thus any larger dia. cat-backs, etc. would give minimal gains (though I saw Tom's dyno graph indicating otherwise). And I have no desire to upgrade the entire exhaust; however, I do have some exhaust inquiries.

First, let me say that a local muffler shop was baffled at the amount of mufflers and resonator(s)? on the car. But let me clarify this first, for my own sanity. The SVT exhaust includes, from front to back:

Header to Cat,
Cat to Resonator,
Resonator to Muffler?/Resonator?,
then M/F to muffler(lunch box)

Correct?

Second, I am aware that the diameter of the exhaust is 2.28, and I have no plans of going F/I or purchasing 3" cat back. What I have done thus far is have the muffler shop cut out the secondary resonator/muffler and put in a straight pipe. It's raspy, but feels more free flowing with seemingly better throttle response. But now I've had enough of the raspiness and popping, though it sounds great, and I will replace the muffler/resonator.

So, after all that...
1. Is the secondary resonator a resonator or muffler, or is there a difference?
2. Does anyone know the stock specs on that piece? (dia, length, part #)
3. What would you all advise I replace it with? I've been looking at magnaflow ss resonators http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universalsatinr.asp?shape=round, but I don't know what barrel diameter I should get, nor length. Any thoughts? Would 5" round barrel, 20"length, 2.25 openings be good to get back to a slightly more aggressive stock tone. No fart cans, nor waking the neighbors please.

Oh, and btw[loveff]
Thanks!

·
Registered
808 Posts
there are some nice sound clips of some magnaflow systems on svtf's on youtube. One of the best sounding imo.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
You're forgetting the CAT to "Flex Pipe".
Then, it's flex pipe to resonator...

BTW, C-F-M makes a nice flex pipe that doesn't neck down in the middle like the stocker does:
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1936

Me thinks I'm going to order that part (since it's on sale) to go along with my C-F-M HFC. [;)]

I wish I could answer your other questions, but I really haven't thought about those items.
I'm perfectly happy with the sound and won't be replacing anything else until it's rotted out and falling off the car. LOL!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there are some nice sound clips of some magnaflow systems on svtf's on youtube. One of the best sounding imo.
I've looked a bit on youtube for sound clips, but sound isn't that important to me; now, I'm looking for near muted aggression? Basically, I'll buy another resonator/muff for the rear part that was replaced with a straight pipe. Any clips you know of that just have a different rear resonator? (the one that immediately precedes the lunch box)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're forgetting the CAT to "Flex Pipe".
Then, it's flex pipe to resonator...

BTW, C-F-M makes a nice flex pipe that doesn't neck down in the middle like the stocker does:
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1936

Me thinks I'm going to order that part (since it's on sale) to go along with my C-F-M HFC. [;)]

I wish I could answer your other questions, but I really haven't thought about those items.
I'm perfectly happy with the sound and won't be replacing anything else until it's rotted out and falling off the car. LOL!

Thanks for the clarification on the flex pipe part; I'll assume that this will complete the front to rear stock SVT exhaust set up.

Any insight into whether the secondary resonator is a resonator or muffler, or is there a difference between a muff/res? Forgive the newbness on this topic.

Any thoughts on what I should replace it with? Magnaflow? length, diameter? Will a longer resonator tube (than the stock one) create a deeper tone, or brighten it up?

Interesting note about the C-F-M flex pipe; and I've thought about buying the HFC, but the price is a bit steep for me at the moment. Did you notice any lower rpm torque gains with just the HFC?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Yeah, their HFC is a pretty popular item.
Give them a call (talk to William) and find out when they'll be back in stock.
With any luck, it won't be that long of a wait.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know the size of the SVT stock second resonator? Length? Dia?

Anyone know what size/brand of said resonator would work best for maintaining performance but helping quiet it down (very slightly)? Perhaps this is an oxymoron, but I'm trying to find a compromise. I'm looking at the tubular style instead of the normal oval type (which is the one in their now)

Here's the scoop:
I'm getting frustrated with this exhaust situation. The second resonator was cut out and replaced with a straight pipe about a year ago. About half a year later, I got a bit tired of the constant popping, and the minor leak in the welding, so I took it back to the same muffler shop. They had no idea of what an SVT exhaust system was or what would fit correctly. They installed a 15" long, 10" long tube, which took the edge off the noise, but it did not fit the stock piping.

Since the back end of the resonator wouldn't reach the stock piping, they cut a piece pipe about 2" wide to the rear end, then welded the pieces together in three areas, effectively using it like glue. What crap.

Anyway, I took it back today to have them fix it and asked for them to maximize the diameter and length of the resonator to fit the area.

ANY advice on what I should replace it with would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm having them look at it tomorrow.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts