Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to removed the heat shield? I want to be able to see the header.

Kurt

·
Registered
75 Posts
As long as you don't regularly park over dry brush or grass, I would suppose so. Several people have mentioned that there's just FELL off, actually.

Beetle

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you remove the heat shield, isn't the hood going to get hot enough to fry eggs, maybe even some bacon as well? My concern would be long-term paint damage or something.

Jason

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oops. Maybe it was a cat heat shield those other folks were talking about... Hmm.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would think that the CAT runs 1500 to 2000 degrees (right?) if that is the case... How hot is the header? I know that after 5 minutes of my car being on the heat shield is hot enought to instantly boil water! Just try, spit on it! I can't imagine removing it would be good for the hoods paint or cooling the car as that heat would be heating air behind the radiator! When you stop at a light I can imagine the temperature woudl jump!

Just my 2 pennies!

·
Registered
24 Posts
taking the heat shield will raise under hood temps, but it should not cause any problems. If you look at the shorty headers made for the regular zetecs you will see that they end up being very close to the hood, so even if they are treated it still has to get pretty hot. If they don't cause problems I don't see how taking the shield off can be that dramatically different.

·
Registered
845 Posts
aftermarket header = no heat shield = very hot under hood, but what can you do....
Stock will be fine without the heat shield also. It's rusted under that aluminum heat shield though, so don't expect a nice clean header....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts