Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All;

I'm new to this forum and newish to working on my focus, and need a little guidance, I've just purchased a shorty header and am putting on a new exhaust, I've heard that you don't need to run more than 2.25 inch if the engine is naturally aspirated (which mine is), also I don't know what type of muffler I need.... What I'm looking for is performance, over everything else, a couple shops seem to just suggest the magnaflow universal fit muffler, I just want to make sure I get a decent muffler and not just buying a name. One last thing is the resonator, do I need one? How loud is loud without it?

One last thing is I will be getting a custom bend job, not a cat back kit....

Thanks for lending your expertise....

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Make sure they do mandrel bends (smooth bends) and not crush bends on the piping. A very common muffler that is used in these systems is a BORLA. The Magnaflow won't sound good at all, trust me.

Keep in mind that you can get a MBRP catback for around $200CDN I believe. Check them out at www.ford-focus.mbrp.com and they are a CANADIAN company so no over the border shipping. It's a very very popular system, I got it for my car. All T-304 stainless including the welds and sounds very very good.

You are putting on a shorty header so keeping that in mind, the MBRP will be 'louder' then normal because of the header. I heard this setup on my friends car, it was just 'slightly' louder then mine, nothing horrible or anything, ALOT better then the sound of a Magnaflow.

Welcome to FocusFanatics.com!! [thumb] from a Fellow Canadian!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Truthfully with my experience with exhaust shops, Ive never seen any good work. I would save yourself the hassle and just buy a complete system. They fit fine, bends are good and welds are good and its garaunteed to increase power. You would probably end up paying just as much if not more for a custom system.

I would look at the MBRP full stainless around $230+ shipping 2.25inch.
There is also the OBX which is a copy of the HKS in full stainless 2.25inch around $275 shipped on ebay.
Theres quite some others but they get more expensive.

Im currently running the MBRP, but most likely going to be switching the OBX because its a little quieter and I like the angled canister look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that.... I wasn't sure about getting the custom bend job, but now another question, eventually I would like to put on a turbocharger, should I do the 2.5" or just the 2 1/4" for now and switch it out later when I'm doing the turbo?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
You'll want 2.5" for any FI applications (basic ones). The 2.5" is better now but your going to have to get a new flex (or slot the bolt holes on the flange) as what you have now will work with the 2.25" perfectly, but not a 2.5". Since your putting on a shorty header, I'd suggest a flex with a 2.5" exhaust setup (as you plan to FI later on).

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
^^what he said with the flex. I am running magnaflow, and personally love it, plus it was cheaper than the borla cat-back. It sounds alittle ricey in the car, but outside it does have a pretty deep tone to it, better than most hondas, acuras, etc.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I feel alot better about my desires for an MBRP now that I know the Almighty S2 is rockin' one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll probably go with the mbrp too... does anyone know of a cheater kit that I could get f I rip out my cat so that the O2 sensors don't trigger the check engine light?

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
you'll love the mbrp, i've had the 2 1/2" one & love it, a little loud with my race header, but that's all good![:D] [thumb]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One other question is the flex pipe, is the stock one restrictive? I think I've heard that its a 2 1/4" pipe so it should work right? or better off to get new one?

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
stock i believe is 1 7/8" very restrictive. you can get 2 1/4" & be good to go or 2 1/2" if you need.[thumb] trubendz sells them pretty inexpensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.