Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay im going to be ordering a new exhaust for my zx4 2.0 dur with no mods yet im going to be getting the steeda cai and maybe a few other minor mods such as a xcal programmer and maybe a header if they come out with something a little better. should i go with 2.5 or 3 inch i was thinking 2.5 because its a little cheaper but also because it is only a 4 banger lol. what do you all think

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
you only need a 3 inch exhaust if you plan on going crazy with either FI or very extreme NA. with only mild bolt ons i'd go with the 2.5. . .

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Unless you are doing an all out build then stick with 2.5"

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah thats what lildisco was telling me on aim so i think im going to go with a stainless steel 2.5 with a magnaflow muffler.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
with mild mods such as intake and tune, wouldn't a 2.25 be as much as needed? like the mbrp? isn't it only 2.25?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Honestly imo 2.25 is too small for any duratec. This is one of the absolute best flowing motors on the market, let it breathe.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
so even with basic boltons and small mods a 2.5 is best?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
is there a 2.5 in the same price range as the mbrp?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im going to get mine through truebendz how do people rate them good or what even though how can you screw up an exhause lol

·
Registered
367 Posts
My trubendz was just a piping kit, with a muffler I bought separately. The hangers it came with to be welded on were kinda crappy (but they work), but other than that, the quality was top notch. I'd recommend it to anyone. The muffler shop that installed it loved how easy it was to be installed, and the fit was perfect. They had better hangers anyway...

All that for 130 bucks, plus 65 or so for the muffler (Magnaflow)
Whatever you do, go mandrel-bent, and listen to everyone that says that 2.5" is the best size.

Lamar

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I cant remember what show I was watching and they said if you have to large of an exhaust, it makes a sensor go all screwy because youi need a certain amount of back presure.

it might just screw up your computer. Also if its too big, you lose out on possible torque.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
YOU DO NOT NEED BACKPRESSURE

What matters is exhaust velocity. If you put an excessively large exhaust on a motor then the velocity of the exhaust drops too low and that is what kills power.

There are no sensors that this could cause to have erroneous readings.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Backpressure will reduce the scavenging effect, which will reduce exhaust flow velocity, which reduces engine efficiency...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts