Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the main difference between these two sizes of exhaust?
Is there any pros and cons for each or is sound the only difference?

Thanks, happy holidays!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wouldn't know the difference since I only have had the 2.5" but I can say I am happy with it.[thumb] Noticed a little bit of power increase but really saw the increase when I put the header on.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
you won't notice the performance difference, so unless your going for f/i or a stroke kit, don't let that be the deciding factor.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But is one louder than the other? I'll be slapping on a F2 header and Trubendz High-Flo exhaust, and was wondering if one size would be quieter than the other for example.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Either will be loud with a header, just make sure you get a resonator too to keep the rasp down. Your dura will thank you for the bigger piping btw

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Go with a 2.5". You won't notice a sound difference and you will be set up for a header or turbo down the road. Its really a good size to go many different routes.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember jetrinka posting something about taking his resonator off and replaced it with a high flo cat and he said it got rid of the raspiness.. So a resonator is supposed to quiet it down, or take away the raspiness? Cause the last thing I want is for it to sound like a hardcore rice rocket lol.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
yeah get 2.5 inch.

go to youtube.com/w8lifter1265 and look at my exhaust videos. one is with the turbo and one is before the turbo with the stock manicat. i have a 2.5" trubendz with magnaflow muffler and high flow cat. i love it. (if you listen to the videos, turn the bass up to make it sound more like in real life)

·
Registered
596 Posts
i have an F2 header, hfc, 2.5" trubendz exhaust... just before the Magnaflow muffler I put in a Vibrant 15" length, 2.5" diameter Resonator. There is no raspiness. I just preferred the exhaust volume to bit lower without restricing the total exhaust flow. My exhaust note is has a very nice sound, especially at any speed...deep, but not overbearing...this has been my experience with this setup

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
From my experience switching from the resonator to the HFC it got rid of the raspiness I was having in high RPM. Sounds very tuned now and I love it. I do not know anything about vibrant resonators but my magnaflow one was also 2.5" in and out, straight through perforated core and 14" long. It produced some rasp. Volume is the same but raspiness is now gone.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i went with 2.5", done by a shop with a magnaflow muffler. I did notice a lost in some low end torque, but the sound is awesome and it really pulls strong in 3rd at about 4k. but when i get a header i am sure i will gain some of my low end torque!!!!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
If you felt a loss in the low end with a 2.5" exhaust you won't feel it gained back with a header. The header really lets the motor breath well and moves the powerband up in the RPM range. Personally I felt no loss anywhere with either but to each their own. But really how accurate is the butt dyno anyway... lol

·
Registered
465 Posts
def. go 2.5!!! itll be alittle loud but w/ the header but its not too bad!! i have the trubendz w/ H/F cat and the tone is great!! performance wise i do feel that i have lost a little in the bottom end but as soon as i pass 3500 rpms it pulls pretty good!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I'll be getting the FS header soon and have the FS stealth exhaust which is 2.25" and I'm not going to change it. There's this lil affect called air scavenging and if you go to big you'll loose this affect, so to each his own, but bigger's not always better. IF I was going to run a turbo, I'd go 2.5", but for the average everyday guy, 2.25 is fine...

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did some reading and a lot of people say to go with a 2.25" setup if you have an automatic. They claim that the torque response is better.

Agreed?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Vibrant is just a company that makes aftermarket parts...right after my HFC I placed the 15" length resonator (about half the overall diameter of the Magnaflow muffler + the intermal diameter is 2.5" so it doesn't restrict exhaust flow and it contains the same stainless steel mesh that my magnaflow has) then the Magnaflow muffler...I only did this because the volume of the header + hfc + Magnaflow was just a bit loud for my taste so I added the additional resonator...MightyMouse did about the same thing... cept he has a 21" resonator before his muffler...

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
just fyi, FRPP did theirs at 2.5. i figure that if they like it, should be good. i love it.

a header wont bring back ur low-end...if anything, itll take away more. may get more hp later, say around 4k.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts