Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beyond stumped with this one. Over the last month the road noise while driving has been getting worse. It is now to the point where I know there is something wrong, yet i can't seem to figure out what it is. The noise gets louder depending how fast I go and the pitch changes when turning to the right. I have tried swapping wheels to make sure it is not a wear issue and I have replaced both drivers side and the rear passenger wheel bearings and the noise has not changed. Any suggestions on what this could be would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Frustrating, I'm sure.

Rotating a pair at a time can often isolate it IF it's an individual tire problem, ALL of them can get noisier when worn but that seldom happens quickly.

Guessing WHICH front bearing is noisy can be downright impossible at times, taking load OFF the right when turning COULD indicate that one but putting load ON the left could do the same thing. One reason they're often done in pairs to eliminate the guessing.

Rotating wheels when jacked up doesn't always help either when they first start to go, only noisy when loaded. It's the only hope for feeling the problem I know of however.

One odd place to add to the list is the right axle carrier bearing. Try to feel that as well as the wheel if you jack it up to spin them when try to isolate the problem.

luck

·
Registered
739 Posts
As sailor said, if you've narrowed it down and confirmed it's not a wheel bearing the passenger axle carrier bearing would be the next place to check. Those are known to cause noise as they get older.

Have you taken the calipers/rotors off the front hubs and the drums off the rear to confirm it's not a wheel bearing though?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a way to check whether or not it's the carrier bearings? That sounds like it could be the problem but I want to make sure I solve the problem instead of just throwing money at it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have found out a way to check if it the wheel bearing going out. It has not let me down yet and I was shown it form a Tech with almost 40 year of wrenching experience.

Find nice long straightaway and get up to around 25-30mph and run Slalom motion between the two lanes. If its a bad wheel bearing the noise will get louder when the wheel has the load of the whole car placed on it and when the weight of the car comes off that wheel the noise will get quieter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried this, the noise gets significantly louder while turning to the right so that is why I replaced both of the drivers side bearings with no luck.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Been fooled too often with that test...

Even what sound like right or left from the inside doesn't always match.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sorry if I missed that you replaced the hub bearings. I'm wonder if its in the trans itself then or if by some reason the CV Shaft is bad. I know they like to click well you turn if they are bad.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sailor was right, turns out it was the passenger front bearing. That goes to show the turn test for a wheel bearing does not always indicate what side it's on. Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Just glad you got it fixed.

If I hadn't been fooled before myself, I couldn't swear that you can be fooled....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts