Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2004 2.3 Duratec manual (the base PZEV special). The problem is when I shift there's a feeling of excessive driveline lash (like a flexiness), so you have to shift with some finesse or else it'll engage harshly when you declutch. Drivetrain otherwise has no shakes etc, but with more gas under 2.5k rpm's it will "lug" (possible binding?) at much higher rpms than normal lugging. The problem started when I rocked the car back & forth between 1st and reverse to get it out of snow, and it's gotten worse over time though I've also gotten used to it.

I don't have much wrenching experience, but with some basic research I'm guessing it's one (or more) of the three mounts like the "roll restrictor mount" or trans mount? I don't want to just start replacing stuff randomly, especially when there's 3 mounts, so hopefully folks here can offer some much appreciated some pointers.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,484 Posts
Very common failure. Replace all 3 mounts. In snowy areas it is common for the bolts to be rust seized.So if you don't have wrenching experience it will be a difficult job. Ford engine mounts only. The aftermarket mounts are garbage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, it looks like the front engine mount is backordered indefinitely from Ford due to covid factory closure, and no local dealer has it in stock.

Since I can possibly do the dogbone mount without jacking up the engine (I'll need to borrow proper jack to do that), would it make any sense to just try that first, and see if it solves at least some of the problem, since I don't have any vibration only shift issue? Another thread here mentioned ford changed the dogbone bracket for later revised mounts so maybe I need one of those also, but that was for zetec so not sure it applies.

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
Yes, that one is the one that lets the drivetrain wind up the most when dead, the first one I go for when your description shows up.

Reactions: agent00F

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Ok, it looks like the front engine mount is backordered indefinitely from Ford due to covid factory closure**, and no local dealer has it in stock.

Since I can possibly do the dogbone mount without jacking up the engine (I'll need to borrow proper jack to do that), would it make any sense to just try that first, and see if it solves at least some of the problem, since I don't have any vibration only shift issue? Another thread here mentioned ford changed the dogbone bracket for later revised mounts so maybe I need one of those also, but that was for zetec so not sure it applies.
**Local dealers way of telling you - politely - that they dont want to order it for you. Many dealers do this.

Assuming the mounts are your issue:

Try online Ford dealers like Tasca Ford (tascaparts.com). They likely have those mounts in stock and can ship to you quickly and at better price than the local dealer who will charge you full list price. You will have to pay shipping but probably still cheaper than local.

Good luck
Paul

Reactions: agent00F

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,484 Posts
Ok, it looks like the front engine mount is backordered indefinitely from Ford due to covid factory closure, and no local dealer has it in stock.

The updated anti roll mount will come with a plastic sleeve inside one of the bolt holes. Don't lose it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mount came in the mail today, and it took some elbow grease to get the old one out (a hammer helped to loosen things up a bit), but finally got the new one in. I could see the tear in the faulty one and things are now much improved. It will still likely benefit from replacing the other mounts (I can still feel some lash remaining), but the car isn't anywhere near sketch to drive like it was. I'll probably do that next before I start driving the car more this coming winter.

Thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So an update on this. I managed to borrow a jack and do the other two mounts. A good hydraulic jack is highly recommended, to really get the engine up and stabilized. A problem I ran into on the driver side transmission mount is that even though the square screws holes allow a bit of side to side play when installing, don't take advantage of that and instead make the effort moving the engine around to center the screws exactly. I first installed a few mm offcenter in the natural resting position of the transaxle after removing just those screws, and there was some grinding on right turns, so had to loosen BOTH mounts again to recenter.

Couldn't get the OEM passenger size "main" mount from anywhere. Dealers all out of stock, and even though the online merchants show stock they admit they don't have it if you call. Got the "3 pack" of mounts from amazon for ~50, so we'll see that goes. A tip for others is that most all the ford focus platform mounts are physically more or less the same profile, whether the main mount has the heavy surround bracket or the stamped piece coming off it or whatever, or says it's for the Transit etc. Worst case if it breaks I've got it down to a 1-2hr job now.

-
Also couple more pointers: a couple nuts were designed for long form factor sockets (not ones in a standard set), the 18mm ones on the main engine mount, and both types on the transmission side. The 18mm engine side ones will kinda work with a standard length socket if you only partially engage both on the nut side and ratchet side. For the transmission mount, the center nut happens to be the exact same size as some long imperial spark plug socket in my old-ass ratchet set, and similarly for the super long 4 side nut screws. So for this job if you're not a mechanic you either need to get some extra sockets or get creative.

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
Buy a socket or two needed, it won't kill you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would've taken extra couple hours for the two trips I probably would've had to make to the parts store or such, which was the motivator to get creative.

Regardless was just documenting the experience for folks looking to do this for their first time same as I was.

·
Registered
2006 ZXW SE, starting its new life as a sleeper
71 Posts
The centering issue can be a problem on the passenger side mount too. The main symptom is it feels like the mount is broken again because it's all bound up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts