Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last two weeks I have went through a whole bottle of break fluid. I know im need of new rear brake pads and rotors but what would cause this mass amount of brake fluid to be used.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Boy that sucks. Sounds like your master cylinder might be leaking assuming there are no leaks in any of the lines to the brakes themselves. Any brake fluid on your floorboards under the pedals? This is where it happens commonly with the master.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I glanced underneath and the rear left tire looks greasy on the indside of the rim...could this possibly be caused by a faulty brake cylinder(not sure if thats the correct tech term).O and there was no leaks on my floor boards

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Yeah that is probably your culprit. Jack up the rear of the vehicle and support it on jackstands. Take off that wheel and have someone get in the car and press the brake pedal to see where it is leaking. Hopefully its just a hole in the rubber line going to the brake. Easy to replace.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I glanced underneath and the rear left tire looks greasy on the indside of the rim...could this possibly be caused by a faulty brake cylinder(not sure if thats the correct tech term).O and there was no leaks on my floor boards
Commonly called the "rear wheel cylinder" and is located inside the drum and mounted at the top of the backing plate. There are rubber seals on both sides of the cylinder that can leak.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you ran the brakes down to far you might have blown out your caliper causing the leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts