Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
800 miles later and still really liking the Focus.
Mpg's averaging 33/34 and improving.
Carries four adults with no complaints from back seat passengers, altho' acceleration is mediocre when fully loaded.
Only 2 minor irritations other than MFT.
Wore shoes with wide soles and found that the gap between the brake pedal and the center console is such that hitting the gas pedal has to be precise. Found my foot catching the right edge of the brake pedal several times, and had to make a deliberate effort to keep my heel tight to the center console. Never had this issue with other cars in many years of driving a variety of other cars. Even the Mini Cooper (prior car) had more foot space clearance for the gas pedal.
Also, if you are a smoker and plan to use the center cup holders for your ashtray, then be prepared for frustration. The designers of the interior must definitely be non-smokers. And before the jokers start, yes I should give em up, I'm part of a dying breed etc., heard all the lines already.
Also planning a visit to dealer to change out left headlight (delivered cracked), install missing engine cover and replace squeaking/scratched door exterior piano trim. Items noted at delivery, and all now arrived and waiting at dealer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Missing engine cover? Mine was delivered without it as well, but I thought they quit including it sometime ago. Think there's a thread on this forum about it. Let me know if they give you the engine cover as I will be asking for it as well when i go in for my first service.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The lack of cigarette lighter should have been an indication, but it's true this car isn't meant to accommodate smokers. In fact, a lot of newer cars I've noticed no longer have the actual lighter or ashtray in them from the factory.

Kind of a good thing in one sense... smoking in a car and the resulting odor/discoloration that can occur definitely drives down the value, so manufacturers trying to cut down on that kind of helps you out in that way.

·
Registered
191 Posts
800 miles later and still really liking the Focus.
Mpg's averaging 33/34 and improving.
How is it that we live in the same city and you are seeing so much better mileage than me? Even when I try for the best average mpg I can I only see the 29-31 range (combined average of 32-34 depending on how many trips I make to Arlington and Denton per tank)... And I am at 5000 miles (all broken in) and had the transmission reprogrammed which means I should be doing just great like you or better even... You either are talking combined average mpg with slightly more hwy driving than I do or something fishy is up with my car... Where did you buy your car? What part of Cowtown are you in? We should work on rebuilding the Focus Fanatics crowd in this area...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I too have the same problem with the brake and accelerator being too close together. Size 13's are a bit of a problem. So I drive in bare feet on long trips. As far as smoking ... go for it as I and my brother are growing tobacco on the farm this year. I do wish you could move the peddles further apart though. But being 6'3" I am glad I do not have the problem some have with the head restraints being in the way. Oh yea, first post for me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I too have the same problem with the brake and accelerator being too close together. Size 13's are a bit of a problem. So I drive in bare feet on long trips. As far as smoking ... go for it as I and my brother are growing tobacco on the farm this year. I do wish you could move the peddles further apart though. But being 6'3" I am glad I do not have the problem some have with the head restraints being in the way. Oh yea, first post for me.
[welcome] Great site for sharing issues and getting resolution. [ffrocks]

·
Registered
61 Posts
The lack of cigarette lighter should have been an indication, but it's true this car isn't meant to accommodate smokers. In fact, a lot of newer cars I've noticed no longer have the actual lighter or ashtray in them from the factory.

Kind of a good thing in one sense... smoking in a car and the resulting odor/discoloration that can occur definitely drives down the value, so manufacturers trying to cut down on that kind of helps you out in that way.
By that logic the vehicle should be limited in the speed and miles that can be traveled, that no modification of any type should be allowed, that children and pets not be able to be accomendated. If the automakers did this the vehicles value could be retained so much more for the original purchaser.

Fact is roughly 15% of all Americans use tobacco and automakers have chosen to not design products that are reasonable for use by this market share. Any argument that this for safety/health reasons is belied by the fact that motor vehicles are inherently unsafe. Safety features like seatbelts or airbags or ABS or traction control are not offered by the automakers across the model lines until required by law

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hadn't really thought about it since I'm not a smoker, but now that you bring it up it is curious that no "smoker's package" is offered on the Focus. Used to be that all cars came with a lighter and ashtray, then at some point those items became an optional "smoker's package." Now, apparently, smokers are completely out of luck.

Should be able to get a lighter that could be used in one of the 12V sockets (although not sure if the wiring to those sockets is heavy-duty enough to handle the load of a lighter). Perhaps some aftermarket manufacturer will offer a heat-resistant insert for the cupholders or S/SE cubby to provide an ashtray. If not, sounds like an opportunity for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit to fill this gap.

·
Registered
468 Posts
By that logic the vehicle should be limited in the speed and miles that can be traveled, that no modification of any type should be allowed, that children and pets not be able to be accomendated. If the automakers did this the vehicles value could be retained so much more for the original purchaser.

Fact is roughly 15% of all Americans use tobacco and automakers have chosen to not design products that are reasonable for use by this market share. Any argument that this for safety/health reasons is belied by the fact that motor vehicles are inherently unsafe. Safety features like seatbelts or airbags or ABS or traction control are not offered by the automakers across the model lines until required by law
I believe I saw somewhere that a smoker's package is available, doubt it includes an ashtray, however - couldn't imagine where one would put one, at least in an SEL or Titanium. [scratch]

·
Registered
112 Posts

He was simply stating that an after effect of not equipping cars with ash trays or cigarette lighters would be that it may cut down on the damage that smokers do to their cars. More than likely, people will find a way to do it anyways but it was just an observation i'm sure.

I do like how you compared smokers to children and pets. [8D]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How is it that we live in the same city and you are seeing so much better mileage than me? Even when I try for the best average mpg I can I only see the 29-31 range (combined average of 32-34 depending on how many trips I make to Arlington and Denton per tank)... And I am at 5000 miles (all broken in) and had the transmission reprogrammed which means I should be doing just great like you or better even... You either are talking combined average mpg with slightly more hwy driving than I do or something fishy is up with my car... Where did you buy your car? What part of Cowtown are you in? We should work on rebuilding the Focus Fanatics crowd in this area...
Mostly highway miles (I30/20) to and from Parker County outside of rush hour and rarely more than 2 people in the car. Rarely drive east of I35. Bought at Southwest Ford in Weatherford, but also shopped 7 other local dealers.

·
Registered
468 Posts
He was simply stating that an after effect of not equipping cars with ash trays or cigarette lighters would be that it may cut down on the damage that smokers do to their cars. More than likely, people will find a way to do it anyways but it was just an observation i'm sure.

I do like how you compared smokers to children and pets. [8D]
My elder daughter, God bless her, always manages to make her new cars nasty in remarkably short time. The grandkids recklessly eat and drink in the car and within a month of purchase, one could feed a flock of chickens for two days from the droppings in the car - and the car would look BETTER after the chickens were in there! Amazing to me, but she's okay with it. Moral - to each his/her own![cheers]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In relation to smoking, I dont need/want the anti-smoking editorials. My post was simpy in the spirit of the forum to hopefully help inform people considering the merits/demerits of the ergonomics of the Focus interior design by bringing up an observation not previously discussed.
Fact 1. Smoking stains the interior and leaves a residual odor - got it.
Fact 2. The trend in this area is for some dealers to flat out refuse to quote a price on a smoker's vehicle in a trade.
If I choose to smoke in the car and own the car for it's useful life then no editorials please.
My observation is that in the Titanium, the placement of the center cupholders for their intended use is poor relative to other vehicles. As a holder for a supplementary ashtray the placement is inconvenient at best.
This does not significantly diminish the overall enjoment of what is an outstanding vehicle and my post was aimed at expanding the font of knowledge contained in this forum.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wore shoes with wide soles and found that the gap between the brake pedal and the center console is such that hitting the gas pedal has to be precise. Found my foot catching the right edge of the brake pedal several times, and had to make a deliberate effort to keep my heel tight to the center console.
Same here. I have a pair of safety-toe shoes that are considerably wider than what I usually wear, and when I drive the Focus while wearing those I fight the same battle. It's especially distressing when it occurs while moving my foot from the accelerator to the brake.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same here. I have a pair of safety-toe shoes that are considerably wider than what I usually wear, and when I drive the Focus while wearing those I fight the same battle. It's especially distressing when it occurs while moving my foot from the accelerator to the brake.

Exactly the issue I have with some footwear. Take your foot off the gas, move your foot to the gas pedal and chances are you catch the edge of the brake pedal unless you also slide your heel right. First car I can recall having this happen to me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Should be able to get a lighter that could be used in one of the 12V sockets (although not sure if the wiring to those sockets is heavy-duty enough to handle the load of a lighter). Perhaps some aftermarket manufacturer will offer a heat-resistant insert for the cupholders or S/SE cubby to provide an ashtray. If not, sounds like an opportunity for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit to fill this gap.
Unfortunately you cannot use a lighter in the 12V socket. They are made with plastic now and would melt.

It's ironic that the 12V socket only exists because of the all the power adapters that were made because every car had a cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My hatch (mexican marquet) has a ashtray in the cuoholder and a lighter in the 12v socket and both are almost imposible to use

·
Registered
73 Posts
How is it that we live in the same city and you are seeing so much better mileage than me? Even when I try for the best average mpg I can I only see the 29-31 range (combined average of 32-34 depending on how many trips I make to Arlington and Denton per tank)...
I'm here too. Getting 31-32 all city, 41-44 all highway. [thumb]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts