Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know beeting it over and over again...just got an 06 st, considering replacing the round can just before the rear suspention with a glasspack, will it be toooo loud, ricey sounding, or loud and throughty sounding, have never played with 4 cylinders allways have had v-8s...
love the car though, never thought id by a 4 door "grocery getter" but damn its fast, handels well and gets great gas milage to boot....sam[thumb]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
it's hard to make a duratec sound ricey. check ebay for the OBX exhuast, it's a full stainless exhuast but it's fairly cheep

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
OBX/MBRP/Magnaflow/Trubendz/Focussport/FS Stealth/Borla/Cosworth.

I believe that's a generic order for duratec exhausts, going from inexpensive to moderately priced. I just think a complete system is much better than cutting and welding the stock pipes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
if u wanna go cheap and just replace with a glasspack, it still sounds great. You can buy a glasspack from a local muffler shop or online for like $20! Sounds great, a little louder then the "Branded" Duratec exhausts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks for all the info, have a friend thats owns a shop that can do exhausts and will probably be doing this in about 3 weeks or so..

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
here you go dude....this will answer your question.

i have the same engine, full 2.25 catback exhaust with just a 12 inch glass pack...so my exhaust is like

mani>cat>>cat>>>glasspack>>>>>>suspension>>>>>tip]

i dont know the size of the ST stock exhaust.

here is my clip, although this was when i had a 18 inch glasspack, the 12 inch didnt change the sound, just made it louder (gonna have to right click>save as)
*edit*couple posts down
your opinion would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so it did not sound all that loud in the clip, how much louder did it make it, was it a noticeable amount ie wake up the dead loud, or was it just a little buit louder, it sounded ok, just not as loud as i expected

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
no its not honda civic fartcan loud. but it still is pretty loud. sounds more muscley in person, and sounds a lot better than most 4 cyls out there. there are a lot of other types of cars in my town with my setup and they sound like shyt. if you go with the glasspack, get an 18 inch or so, if its not loud enough -for you- then you can always get a smaller one put on. they are cheap so yeah..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh btw i have read around that the ST exaust is 2.38" or 60 mm, [dunno] cant remember where i seen this. but i might be wrong, i might have to messure it when i get home

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did it..cost 90$ but i think it was worth it, not as loud as i expected, does have a noticeable new sound, like it alot, not to loud, just right

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
im the same way my first 4 cyl
it will never have the deep sound of a v8 and it will have a very diferent sound than true duel exhaust so dont try to get the same sound, there is a thread that has sound clips you can hear the other catbacks on the market cant find it now but i will keep a eye out for it

i have a 2000 f150 w/ a 4.6 and true duel exhaust and a 2005 ZX3 with a magnaflow cat back i have heard the two systems, and go with a catback they are all over the forums and threads just figure out the brand u want and it will do about the same thing as the glass pack but better and made to fit, it took about 45 minutes to put a magna flow on my car ( yes i payed them to do it ) they had a lift and all the tools but watching them it would have only been nice to use a lift since i have the rest of the tools... sawzal and wrench and sockets

·
Registered
176 Posts
Go with the FocusSport or Borla system. The extra bucks get you a warranty, larger pipe, better tone(IMO) and instructions so you can do it yourself even if you've never installed a kit before. The Borla also comes with a free hat [:0]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts