Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I'm looking for a little upgrade on my ZX3, what you think I must do between buy an OBX Catback exaust system or OBX Headers system??[?|] What of these 2 bolt-on should I buy first?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
catback if you already have an intake. if you don't, get the intake first, then the exhaust.

·
Registered
958 Posts
cat back...doesnt make much sense to open it up w headers then have it get backed up by the bottleneck that is the exhaust

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Header first

·
Registered
789 Posts
old_grendel said:
cat back...doesnt make much sense to open it up w headers then have it get backed up by the bottleneck that is the exhaust
100% agreement.... cat back first

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
if i had to choose just one first I'd say cat-back, but if you can afford it, get header, flex & cat bck. all at once, it'll save alot of time and fustration with installation[;)]

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
I did intake, cat back, and this weekend is the new flex. Headers are farther down the road, need to stop spending stuff on the car for a while, as disapointing as that sounds

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would go with the catback first, then the header/cat/flex. I'm not sure how loud the OBX catback exhausts are, but with the MBRP and OBX race header combo, it is pretty darn loud. Don't have that setup personally, but I've heard it already from another focus owner.

Good luck on modding your ride, and HAVE FUN!!!!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Its 6 on the one hand, half-dozen on the other...a catback with the stock cat and header really isn't going to do much other than add a bit of volume to the exhaust, and the header with the stock catback is going to get bottlenecked by the smaller pipe diameter. It just depends on if you want to do the easy or hard part first...the catback is much easier than a header install.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Header will give you a greater increace of hp

·
Registered
789 Posts
venomfocus said:
Header will give you a greater increace of hp
this is true BUT ONLY when it is allowed to breathe properly, i.e. and exhaust and intake. the headers without an exhaust might give you a few ponies but headers with exhaust will give you about three to four times as much.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Anybody have an luck or information about the "Tsudo N1 Catback"? seems cheap, and if it is i wont get it. I plan on doing my intake and exhaust all at once

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would say intake, cat-back, header in that order. The stock manifold isn't too bad and if you have to do it on a budget these three mods are your biggest bang for the buck. I agree with^^ in that you would be a lot better off buying all your exhaust goodies and bolting them up at the same time if you can afford to.

·
Registered
958 Posts
try to get svt everything...it keeps the cat...and the svt long tube header has just as much power as the racing headers out there

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
our cars already have a decent exhaust manifold... the real holdup is from the cat back... which coincidentally involves cat, flex and exhaust piping.

U gotta decide if you want to go catless or not. then we can help a little better

·
Registered
773 Posts
just wait, save a few more dollers and buy both @ the same time, thats what im gona do. granted its gona cost me ~1050 to do my exaust but it will be way worth the wait.

my exaust will consist of: SVT 4-2-1 header -> R/T Highflow cat -> 2.25" flexpipe -> borla or magnaflow exaust. 2 new O2 sensors, wiring harnes, ext...

all that for 1050 (including shipping) installed myself not to bad.[:)~]

well what u want to do is up to u tho.
[cheers]

-Sarif2029

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
when u install that svt header u NEED TO REROUTE THE PS HOSE. trust me! i had a hell of a time to make that bitch work right after we installed it and it ate through my ps line

1 - 20 of 24 Posts