Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it's normal or not, Haven't had other people come listen, but MOSTLY when the engine is cold, revving the engine to High RPM's I get a Crackle Poppy sound, and it sounds like it's coming from the front.. I don't know if this is back pressure, or what? Sounds Kinda like a backfire almost. When The engine is warm, I Don't really notice it. I've been looking into the lunchbox removal thread, that BradWhite had gave, but am scared that if i do so, my ZX3 will go tooting down the road :( any help?

I did not pour poprocks in the gas tank either, although it sounds like it :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Sounds like you have an exhaust leak somewhere. Look at the joints on the exhaust for black sooty areas for the leak.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Great! Will do today!.. But with an exaust leak, wouldn't it be making the sound all the time, regardless hot/cold engine temp at high rpms?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't see any noticeable leaks, I don't hear any of these noises after warm up.. does something need to be adjusted? Does anyone else with the duratec have these sounds revving on a cold start? I just don't want to chop of the "LunchBox" (for a temporary exaust) and have this thing sputtering and crackling down the road -- or any after market exaust for that matter :(

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
if it's kind of a rattley thingy sounding noise (and trust me, I don't have any experience besides what I've either read from forums or researched on) it could be that your catalytic converter might be on edge.... assuming that it only does that on startup. I was gonna say though, if you had an aftermarket exhaust, and it wasn't coming from the front, that maybe the mesh in the muffler blew out, or it's still warming up.... BUT that doesn't apply, of course :B

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well maybe your on to something, I just ran out and fired her over.. and the noise actually sounds more like it's coming from underneath the car.. in that area. I'm not familiar with exhaust systems so I can't really distinguish a crappy cat from a messed up muffler. It doesn't sound super serious.. It's just one of those "ahhhh Damn it" things. What do you recommend for further diagnosing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts