Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright it's time. Through some unforeseen circumstances, my budget has gone from making new car payments to buying things for the focus and the girlfriend.

To start, I have a 2008 SE atx 4 door.

SO suspension time. I'm trying to find the STPerformance front cross brace but aren't having much like. I'm planning to get the Steeda rear sway bar seeing as my car did not come with brackets and that kit does. Any other kits that come with brackets, let me know.

I plan to grab the FSwerks strut tower and rear brace more for looks but I would like them anyway.

I will be hopefully moving to 17-18 inch wheels and tires as well, either the black EAP wheels or something similar on tirerack.

Now here is where I need the most help. I was considering the FRPP kit but with my sudden reallocation of funding, I would like something a little more up there. Now I've been reading through some threads and was wondering if a fixed setup or coilovers spawn better handling. I would like some lowering, but the focus on handling improvement. This is a daily driver so keep that in mind. Feel free to suggest pre-08 bits too if they work with the Massive Omni Kit.

And lastly, brakes. I was hoping to get the Rally Kit from FRPP because I have seen a write up on how to fit it to an 08. If anyone has some amazing brake suggestions that are less expensive, please tell :)

My goal is to be able to tear up Glendora Mountain Road and actually be able to race some of the other cars. Soooooooooooo have at it my friends!!!!

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Htperformance doesn't exist anymore. Cfm and dominic are making similar braces

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Coilovers, although relatively pricey, will most certainly improve handling. Especially something that is fully adjustable, hopefully offering custom spring rates. Consider H&R, DGR, Megan, KW. Also, when going lower than about 1.5" You will more likely than not need adjustable rear camber plates and toe arms all around. Negative camber is not Your friend, or Your tires friend.

Not sure which RSB You're looking at, just keep in mind that the 28.6mm bar is really too much for a DD, as it has been known to cause significant oversteer.

When looking at wheels, consider offset, tire sidewall height and aspect(width) to ensure proper fitment, or You will find Yourself rolling Your fenders, which is more work and less fun than it sounds, lol.

As for brakes, I honestly don't know, so I'll leave that for those who do.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much, that info does help. I don't want to drop super low because I would rather avoid all those other little parts :).

The Steeda rear sway bar is 21mm.

And the wheels I'm looking at are 17" x 7" with a 40mm offset. Tirerack recommends a 205/45-1 tire. I mainly want to upgrade wheels for looks and some more grip, but if I can afford it, I would love them for some bigger caliper clearance :)

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
good sticky tires...some good shocks and struts on a decent spring and some sway bars.

pretty nice and simple way too start

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any suggestions on a good tire that can handle rain too? My campus floods a lot during the fall and winter but otherwise its all good for a nice handling tire. I'm adding a rear sway bar, should I upgrade the front as well?

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
Any suggestions on a good tire that can handle rain too? My campus floods a lot during the fall and winter but otherwise its all good for a nice handling tire. I'm adding a rear sway bar, should I upgrade the front as well?
I want to say the 08's came with a 22mm front sway bar, which should be good for the 21mm rear sway you are getting. Based on this thread says 22mm but that it only lists the models that also came with a rear sway, so I'm not positive on the size of yours. I suggest you add the rear sway bar and see how the car does in the corners. The goal should be to end up with the car handling as close to neutral (as opposed to over/understear.)

Is it possible for you measure your front bar (have a caliper?) I know on the base S Focus, such as my '07, only came with an 18mm front, no rear sway bar. I replaced that with a 21mm SVT front sway and I have Steeda's rear sway bar that I added (22mm) and feel like its a good match for me. I really like the way my car handles turns now.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
For maximum handling improvements I suggest the following in the order shown:

1. Performance tires (add wheels based on budget....lighter is always better)
2. Shocks (Koni Sports...better than most coilovers)
3. Springs (H&R Race...be prepared, however, for a much firmer ride)
4. Modest increase in rear sway (22mm or so works well. Goal is to create neutral handling)

For a Daily Driver the FFRP springs and shocks will result in a significant handling improvement, will not be abusive but will also be much firmer than stock and won't break the bank leaving room for those really good wheels and tires which canyon carving and hill climbing requires.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to figure out what the front is, and if I have to, I have no problem getting an svt bar for it.

Geezer, will I need an Omni kit for the Koni and H & R swap? And how far is that drop/does it fit on 17s without rubbing? My main reason for upgrading wheel size is I want more tire for grip.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Geezer, will I need an Omni kit for the Koni and H & R swap? And how far is that drop/does it fit on 17s without rubbing? My main reason for upgrading wheel size is I want more tire for grip.

This is a tricky area. Bigger does not necessarily mean better, grippier, etc. There are nice grippy tires in smaller wheel sizes. The key in going bigger is staying as light as the smaller wheel tire combo. Increasing rotating mass and unsprung weight can neutralize the benefits of a wider tire. If you've been to a serious autocross (say a SCCA pro solo event) you'll notice that they use the widest stickiest tire that will properly fit the widest lightest smallest diameter wheel they can fit on the car. If you do go 17's you still need a quality performance tire to justify the size increase, if you're doing it in the name of performance alone.

Regarding the Koni's, simply check their on line catalog and see if they have a 06+ application. If they do you're covered, if not, then yes the Omni kit is required to use the 00-05 application.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I've got alloys lol. I can do it when I get home, I was just at work and wondered if anyone knew off the top of their head. Can't wait to order those konis and some springs. Anyone know how much of a drop h & r race springs are?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Thanks again! Do you happen to know the stock 15s and tire weight?

Sorry I don't, but that info may be in the wheel and tire stickies at the top of this section.

Remember it's not just wheel weight that's important, but the total including the tire weight. Tire weight, even within the same size, varies considerably. You don't want to get a nice light weight wheel and wrap it in an anchor. Most tire manufacturers (as well as the Tirerack) list weights in their tire specs.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
again, thank you, I wasn't aware of all of that. So I'll be able to get the shocks/springs/omni for about $1,000 total. Over a few weeks, should be manageable. After that, wheels tires and a rear sway. Once I have everything I'll be putting it all on. And news of overtime this month at work should make this even better :).

Hey Geezer, how stiff are the race springs? Are they back breaking or just firm?

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
If ur going to spend $1,000 just get h&r coilovers and ull have height adjustment too

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Hey Geezer, how stiff are the race springs? Are they back breaking or just firm?

H&R Race springs are listed as being 325 lbs/in front and 375 in the rear. For comparison purposes a stock 00-05 Focus is 110 F and 126 R. Now don't let that scare you too much as a lot of coilovers are also in the 300 to 400 lbs/in range as well. While its called a Race spring its really a high performance street spring and is very popular with the autocross crowd. A real race spring (meant for the race track) would probably start in the 500 lb/in area and easily get a lot stiffer depending on needs and the track conditions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts