Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have my 2000 ZX3 as a daily driver. I was looking into supercharging but I think im going to stick with all engine Mods. What is worth my time/money getting into for everyday reliable mods? Im looking at 3 grand to spend. I have a AEM CAI, Bosh 4+spark plugs, Diablo sport chip, 4-2-1 race header, 2 1/2" Cat back and a Magnaflow Muffler.

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Honestly if your looking at 3 grand, and you just want an everyday type car, you cannot go wrong with a JRSC+BBK. If i were you i would reconsider.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Yes, or make the stretch and go with a powerworks kit for 4 grand. Bolt it on and go. You will get more out of a boosted application than all the bolt-ons. A jackson will give you 170 HP or so, all the good bolt ons hit about 150. GO boost

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure about forced induction being reliable... I wouldn't know. The winter kicked the hell out of my Focus. I don't want to be putting money into all the time just to keep it going if I don't have to. I have Shelby Daytona project car for that. Another problem with supercharging is when its said all and done I'll be paying over 5 grand. I do live in Canada and $4000 US is goin to end up costing me $5000 Canadian. Might be alittle over my budget. I'll look into it though. Whats a nice reliable supercharger and all the fixings that have to come with it? ie......computer reprogramming, spark plugs etc....is there a whole kit out there?
Thanks for the replys !!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would say go turbo, but if you like SC go with powerworks. There is one on focuasport that +100 whp, its nice!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I would say go with a inexpensive turbo setup. You could probably make more power in the end and keep the car reliable by not running an overly large amount of boost. But what was said above about SC's, its a great idea too if you are looking at that kind of funding. I would personally go with the Powerworks kit but others are using the JRSC with the BBK and making decent power.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
The JRSC+BBK is a lower boost set up. Its better for more daily driven vehicles. It can also have other pullies put on as well, if I remember right. The Powerworks is good as well. Steeda put one on a 2.0 zetec stock and got about 200 whp. Powerworks also has more boost with it. Superchargers are typically more reliable than turbos from what ive heard.

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
something like a percision turbo would be good for daily use, just nothing high boost.

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
cams, throttle body, a new tune for your chip! cyln. head with more compression.
the jrsc is also a good reliable s/c for the money , it doesn't make as much power as the powerworks but would be pretty reliable. I'm saving for the jrsc+ bbk= 2795.00 8-9 PSI= lots of smiles without running a shitload of boost & burning a ton a cash[:)] [:)] on a budget.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Foc said:
Honestly if your looking at 3 grand, and you just want an everyday type car, you cannot go wrong with a JRSC+BBK. If i were you i would reconsider.
I second that. I would go for the JRSC+BBK.

·
Registered
958 Posts
BigRed03 said:
Steeda put one on a 2.0 zetec stock and got about 200 whp.
^^pretty sure they used a roush turbo

btw, if ur in canada then talk to mitch at zx3tuning.com hes based in vancouver and he has his own forum on focuscanada.net, he may be able to get u a better price than shipping up from the states

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks for all the help!! I'll looking into forced induction then. How about the Powerworks SC? Seems to be a pretty good price for me

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Tom's stage one kit would be right up your alley...its about $3500 with installation and tuning and lays down about 200 WHP/TQ on an otherwise stock Zetec. You're not even going to come close to that much torque with a SC, and remember its torque that gets you up to speed, horsepower keeps you there.

·
Registered
958 Posts
u guys keep forgetting that up here in canada things get more expensive...lol...plus i dont know about the thread starter but im not driving down to north carolina anytime soon

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
If there's a shop you can go to up there (which there obviously is if he's talking about a SC since they need tuning as well) Tom will ship his kits pretty much anywhere, I know he sold a kit to a guy in Australia so it sort of goes without saying that he'd ship to Canada.

·
Registered
958 Posts
hahaha...i have no doubt that he'd ship to canada but im just saying that $3500 usd, suddenly turns into $4000 cad, plus shipping, plus duty, plus taxes...stuff up here can get pretty expensive...thats all im saying

·
Registered
755 Posts
Because the supercharger is already in canada and converted in price. JRSC is now a Ford Racing Product, Toms kit (as awesome as it is) is only available from Tom in NC. A JRSC makes good since for what you are doing. Low boost and low intake temps make for a happy little focus. Toms kit does make more tq but the JRSC makes it faster. I am not arguing turbo vs SC, I know turbo has more potential, but for a daily driver a JRSC is more reliable, less harmful, and a lot less laggy.

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
there is always the procharger kit too. or the vortec.... so many options.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts