Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just re-mounted my wg so that it will clear and allow the flapper to open fully=no more creep. It hits full boost (10psi) around 3-3.5K and feels real good getting there, BUT....it won't hold full boost for long. I don't know what it is, but once I hit full boost and continue to floor it, my revs jump up a bit as if I just disengaged the clutch, then they drop way back down. Meanwhile, I'm losing boost. What could be causing this? Is my clutch slipping/dying or is it another wg issue or what?

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
ya what clutch do you have

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the clutch would have nothing to do w/ the car loosing boost. If he is making full boost at 3k and then looses it at 5k while under full load, then its not the clutch. The clutch may be slipping yes, but it is not the cause of the problem of loosing boost pressure. When u rev ur car in neutral, u will still make boost same as if it were engaged.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i was thinking the same thing, when the clutch slips the motor isnt under the same load. This sounds like a similar situation to another thread i saw where the wastegate was only rated for like 8psi and the dude could push 15 through it but as soon as he went to 18psi, it started to loose boost. They seemed to think that the WG was opening and not closing properly once it hit full boost.
made sense in my head

·
Registered
305 Posts
Does it happen worse in higher gears? If the engine is reving up without the car accelerating(assuming you arent losing traction)...the clutch is slipping. May not be the only problem...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
eh, a vac leak would result in poor performance over the whole rpm range not just once peak boost is obtained...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I am still on the stock clutch, which has about 102,xxx miles right now. I know it couldn't be due to a loss of traction because I was in 4th gear when I first noticed it.

I'll check out all my vacuum lines just to be sure. When I re-routed the WG, the nipple was pointing downwards and I put a short piece of vacuum line off it into a 90 degree fitting and then ran the rest of the tubing to the IM via a T-fitting with the BOV.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i would say your clutch is prolly due for a change out.....

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
wastegate...same thing happened on my buddies srt4

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Which wastegate do you have and how is it vented (either to atmosphere or back into the exhaust piping)??

Another member (zetecfreak) is having similiar issues with his SPA setup, his WG is vented to atmosphere (as in NO PIPE on it at all) and when it opens it overcorrects itself and power drops off then comes back when the controller gets everything lined back out.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
i wouldnt say it is the wastegate because of the way the engine is reving up. if you boost spike (like an srt4 does) your engine will not rev. you will just spike up and boost will drop back down to normal.

just like tom said a turbo needs load to boost. if it is slipping bad enough for the engine to rev like that then it is loosing enough load to loose boost.

and with that many miles at 10psi that is where i would point my finger.

·
Registered
789 Posts
eh, a vac leak would result in poor performance over the whole rpm range not just once peak boost is obtained...
not exactly. depends on where the leak is and how bad it is. if it is in the charge piping, and it is just a small leak, it could be holding fine until 'x'psi and then anything over that, it start to vent pressure. i have seen it dozens of times while doing a boost leak test on my car. the pressure starts to build and will be fine and then when it hits wherever it starts to leak, the pressure will still build but very slowly and then when i stop, the pressure falls very fast. the damn worm clamps on the charge piping don't stay tight all the time so i have some t-bolts on order.

Well I am still on the stock clutch, which has about 102,xxx miles right now. I know it couldn't be due to a loss of traction because I was in 4th gear when I first noticed it.

I'll check out all my vacuum lines just to be sure. When I re-routed the WG, the nipple was pointing downwards and I put a short piece of vacuum line off it into a 90 degree fitting and then ran the rest of the tubing to the IM via a T-fitting with the BOV.
definitely sounds like it is time for a new clutch. also, which wg is it and what is the spring rated to? if it is rated to less than what you are pushing, it should be venting to keep it at whatever the spring is rated at, BUT sometimes they will stick and allow you to over boost them, and then when they finally open up, you will loose boost and go to whatever the spring is at.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i wouldnt say it is the wastegate because of the way the engine is reving up. if you boost spike (like an srt4 does) your engine will not rev. you will just spike up and boost will drop back down to normal.

just like tom said a turbo needs load to boost. if it is slipping bad enough for the engine to rev like that then it is loosing enough load to loose boost.

and with that many miles at 10psi that is where i would point my finger.
This is what I'm thinking/am afraid of. I knew I'd be needing a new clutch sometime soon, just didn't know it would be this soon. Oh well, looks like I now have an excuse to get a lighter flywheel and a Torsen, lol.

For the record, the WG is just the internal wg from my 14b. I could easily see it being messed up because it's pretty old. I think I might buy a new WGA and if that doesn't fix the problem, I guess it'll be time for a new clutch.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
guess this is way over my head, I thought that the engine made full boost no matter if it is engaged or not, more reading for me!! lol,

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sounds like clutch to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts