Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been putting this off but i need to get it taken care of. Whats happening is that my gas cap light will come on, then after a while the eng. like will come on. I believe its from a rear evap. leak, which i think contributes to getting bad gas millage?? But whats the fix for that?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Basically no quick fix, pretty much because none of us could definitively tell you where the leak is coming from.
Best bet is to bring the car in and have a "smoke test" done on the EVAP system. This should tell the tech exactly where the leak is located and he will be able to fix it from there.

Most likely the check engine light is coming on from a lean condition and possibly misfires due to the lean mixture.

You could stop by a parts store and have the codes read, but I doubt it will point you in the direction you need. Probally just tell you results from the EVAP leak.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanx, yea i did that and had the code read but as you were saying it wouldn't pinpoint the exact location of the leak.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I had the same problem.....the check gas cap light would come on, then the CEL. There are several codes that refer to evap system problems, and are real difficult to pin-point.

Mine turned out to be a gas cap problem.....both the original cap, and the new locking cap I bought had small leaks. The third gas cap has been ok....no more codes.

In order to affect gas mileage, you would need to have a leak bad enough to smell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts