Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am throwing a evaporative emissions code. Vapor canister had a hole in it so i replaced it. Threw the code again. Vent hose was not connected to filler neck or where ever it connects at the top. Connected it and threw the code again. Put on a new gas cap cleared the code again and threw the light on again. I am down to maybe a hole in one of the plastic lines the run to the canister .. i'm thinking the one that comes off of the bigger metal line that goes up to the top of the gas tank somewhere?? Seems flemsy .. also seems like there is a vaccuum leak (probably to do with leaky emmissions) and am not building pressure in my gas tank? Any help ??? Im about to pull out my hair.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
What code do you have? Usually, the best way to find a leak in a evap system is to connect a smoke machine. which is a big expensive tool that your local mechanic might have. the shop will also be able to command the valves to open and close to verify that both the vent and the purge valves are functioning correctly. Unfortunately you really need the equipment to diagnose evap issues.

If you have a large vacuum leak you might be able to hear a whistling noise when the engine is running.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Have it smoked. I have the small leak code and had it smoked which found the leak is somewhere above the tank. I could have thru money out trying to figure that out by just replacing parts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know what the heck it is...i put a little lubricant around the o ring on the gas cap cleared the code and it hasnt come back on yet. Buuuut get this ... car is runs great from a cold start all the way until the motor warms up then my idle gets somewhat choppy and occasionally tries to die out on me. Does anyone have the same idea that i have as in the aem short ram being the culprit for this issue...it has been brutally hot here in Tulsa OK lately and I have probably helped raise engine bay temps by putting a shorty header in there ... hmmm...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great .. so is that the one that is the cylinder or puck looking device with two hoses that run to it there by the passenger rear suspension in the hardest possible place to work? I rooted around under there for a couple of hours today checking all my hoses and such and getting an idea on how everything works and where the lines all run...seems logical that something could be stuck open .. I often smell fuel coming from the area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts