Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just given a brand new set of what i think are european ford focus headlights. They are the ones shown on this car: http://www.focusfanatics.com/galler...o.php?photo=347
I am wondering if anybody knows anything about these such as what bulbs I need and what modifications I may have to make to the car. I can already see i will have to change the grill and remove the old turn signals, and am wondering if I need to make wiring modifications and such. I am going to dig into this on the weekend, but if anybody has any info b4 I dive in let me know....thanx

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
Fix your link to show the photos. (the "..." in the middle is wrong) and put the complete thread in there. It has been truncated and in the process added the "..." and cut out a few words.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
are ST170s projecter?

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
No they're not projectors, just regular halogens with the option of self-levelling xenons. The foglamps on the ST170 are projector-style but also just halogens.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
self-leveling how does that work?

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
I think it's to do with the number of passengers and weight distribution. The more weight you have in the back, the higher you lights will point and particularly xenons will blind when directed the wrong way, so by lowering their aim they can compensate for this weight. I know my Euro Zetec (ZX3) has a little dial to raise or lower the lights from 1 to 5 according to the number of passengers (1 to 5 naturally) and the higher I go towards 5, the lower my lights aim. I have conventional halogens but you can extrapolate this to the higher tech xenons which should at least have what I have in terms of technology.

I think they may also work according to speed, by raising somewhat at higher speeds to allow greater view without needing high beams and by also adjusting according to suspension travel depending on road speed, the faster the car the less the bumps affect it and the less the beams are raised/lowered. That last bit is more of an informed guess but it exists on other cars so I see no reason why it wouldn't on the ST170.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
ya i wish my projectors had that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts