Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up. I just put on a new pair of Euro style Angel Eye Halo headlights. Everything fit perfect and is working great. The only thing is that the turn signal bulb is different from the stock American 3157. It's a 1157 style (round terminal end).

What I want to accomplish is to have the turn signal bulbs stay lit but also blink just as the stock does. I tried doing what the ST170 How-To guide stated, such as splicing the two power wires together, but that freaked my car out and it wouldn't blink, just stay lit. It's currently only set to blink.

I realize the terminal end for the turn signal that came with the headlights will only accept two wires, ground/power. But how can I get these to stay like stock?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
You'd need some kind of relay setup that would turn the light off when the blinker is running and let it stay constant-on when the running lights are on. This would also cause the rapid-blink issue, which would require splicing in some kind of resistor to compensate for the relay's lower draw on the blinker system (or just live with the fast blink.)

You could also try a custom wiring job with dual-filament bulbs (like brake/tail bulbs), but that would require ripping the original bulb sockets out of the lights and replacing them.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, I've been playing in and out of ska/reggae bands for the past 11 years. In fact, I just played keys for Monty Montgomery from Symirup this past November. I love seeing other Ska addicts like myself.
Anyway, thanks for the info. I might first try altering my stock socket to fit the new headlight.
How illegal would it be to have the lights only stay on and not blink? At least they're there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts