Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new both to this forum and to Focuses...er... Focii? Anyway, I have an '02 wagon, and have encountered the apparently infamous tail light housing melting and putting a death-grip on the on the bulb plug issue. To try to circumvent this in the future, I was looking at these aftermarket LED tails. What I want to know is, will these successfully wire right in to my US spec harness as these seem to be European spec, and will everything work correctly (sans rear fog lamp, which I don't need anyway), or will I need to rewire some things to keep the backup lights from going on when I hit the break for example, or something? Link to product: http://www.protuninglab.com/alt-yd-ff00-5d-led-c.html

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'd suggest actually reading the link you provided.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it does say in the description on the site that they are plug and play to the original light harnesses. It has a rephrasing of that same description on all of their led lights. I have no doubt they will plug in. All I wanted to know was if anyone else has tried these on their car themselves and can attest that they really will work correctly or if modification or rewiring will be needed, and if so what kind. I've heard of a number of issues with using these lights designed for European Focus models on US cars such as turn signals lighting when applying the breaks, and even "hyper blinking" turn signals requiring resistors. The best way may be to just try it and figure it out. But it would be a lot easier to hear what the deal is from someone who's been down that road before.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
When you hear Euro tail lights these are mainly for the hatch backs and a few sedans have also have had them as well. I haven't seen lights for a wagon that were aftermarket and these lights say 5dr which could mean they are meant for the 5 door hatch back, the back hatch being the 5th door. So I would assume that these will not fit a wagon since it doesn't say wagon anywhere in the description just 5dr.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They will definitely bolt into a wagon, they mount in the body in the orientation shown, the lights on a hatchback look like this
and mount up in the pillars of the lift gate in the orientation in that picture. All I'm worried about is possible wiring differences. Just don't wanna buy all new oem style housings every time a bulb goes out cause I had to dremel the bulb out. Oh well, I think I'll just try 'em and see what happens!

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Well then it looks like the only way to find out is to buy them. If you do get them make a thread or update this one so that the next person looking at these and having the same question will be able to find an answer. Sometimes it sucks being a guinea pig but that's the way it goes.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
First off,
The lights are not designed for the euro market. That is simply a term thrown around for the look of the lights, albeit very poorly used. The description says the conform to DOT requirements, which the euro market does not have.

Second,
The LED portion of the light is only for looks. The lamps will still be the 3157's (IIRC) your cars is using right now. Which also means the same wattage draw and heat generation,,, and subsequent failure.

Third,
This is simply a fancier looking stock replacement. Noting more, nothing less.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
They will definitely bolt into a wagon, they mount in the body in the orientation shown, the lights on a hatchback look like this
and mount up in the pillars of the lift gate in the orientation in that picture. All I'm worried about is possible wiring differences. Just don't wanna buy all new oem style housings every time a bulb goes out cause I had to dremel the bulb out. Oh well, I think I'll just try 'em and see what happens!
Hey, I have a set of those in the closet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts