Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got these headlights, and they fit just fine the only problem is it doesn't have the same plug as my old ones. It has 5 prongs, my old ones have 3 and they are shaped different, is there an adapter or something that I can use or a way to replace the wires?

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
you need the european plug, from the 2002+ euro models

you either need to get one from an EAP svt or from a VW...try dealers and junkyards

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just got these headlights, and they fit just fine the only problem is it doesn't have the same plug as my old ones. It has 5 prongs, my old ones have 3 and they are shaped different, is there an adapter or something that I can use or a way to replace the wires?
Have a pic of the plug in needed?

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Oh man the wiring isn't that bad but running the new wires, tapping wires, and electrical taping everything takes around 4 hours. I also had a problem with trying to run the turn signals as the indicators. If you do a search there are tons of threads on this exact topic. I did mine over 5 years ago and never had a problem. (knock on wood)

Note: When you wire them make sure to take your time and do a nice clean install. You don't want to do a hack job on your headlamps.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
let thy soldergun be your friend[thumb]

seriously, wiring in headlights isnt much. if you lived closer, id show you or do it for ya.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll add pics when my camrea stops acting up, But on the car I've got three wires: Green with stripes, red, and black.

The headlights have six, two whites twisted together, green with yellow stripes, blue, red, and black.

Pics are on the way..

I'm just guessing, but I think I should tie: red to red, green stripe to green stripe, black to black (ground), and I'm guessing that the blue wire gets tied to the green, and my two white wires get tied to the red.

**Note: The red wire goes to my middle bulb, and the blue wire goes to the highbeam

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
do not rely on twisting the wires/butt connectors (also known as solderless connectors)

Do a proper job as Scrammer said and solder the wires if you do cut and patch a new plg into it aswell as use heatshrink not tape.. being exposed to the elements and heat the tape will dry out and unravel itself in no time

heres a tip to prevent the wires from ever getting damaged corroded.. once soldered clean the solder area with a wire brush to remove excess flux, then apply a little diletic grease to the joint to prevent oxidization then after the heatshrink is used seal the ends of the heatshrink with epoxy .. the way I told you will guarantee the joint will never have problems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts