Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I have a problem (I think with the estate latch/locking mechanism YS4A 43102, like the one on this page http://www.karl.de/shopware.php/Stellmodul-Heckdeckel_detail_77058.html).

Sort story:
Is it possible to open it to see what is wrong and try to fix it? I cannot succeed, there is resistance that I cannot pin point (near the latch).

Long story:
One of my strut broke down and the trunk slammed down. I replace the strut and at that point, I realize that the trunk does not lock (it does not latch either). The weight on the trunk was keeping it down. It is no longer the case.
I have now remove the above mentioned part and try to open it. Now, I can lock it with a pliers, but pulling the rope (the estate model has a rope between the key cylinder) does not unlock it. I have to use the pliers to push the locking part and the arm move out and unlock.
Now I know that if I lock my trunk, it is over, I cannot unlock it (plus the part that I push with the pliers will not be accessible).
In any case I tried to plug the electric part to see if it was playing a role. With the electricity plugged in, when I pull the rope, the trunk light opens, but that is it.
The button on the dash to open the trunk never worked, so I cannot use it for diagnostic or else.

In summary:
I think I will have to replace that part, but my hope is that someone here can suggest me a trick to save the part that I currently have.

Happy new year!

Car: Ford focus estate (station wagon) sold in Sweden, so probably a European model.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
I think I will have to replace that part, but my hope is that someone here can suggest me a trick to save the part that I currently have.
That part is generally considered non-serviceable and is sold as a unit as you've found out. The locking latch mechanism is moved into place by an electric solenoid and it tends to wear out and bind with age; that is the latch or the solenoid or both wears out. I doubt something simple like a good regreasing would fix it. I also suspect any attempted fix would be temporary.

There are other threads on FF on how to service your trunk release button located on the dash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I will buy a use part and try my luck.

Thanks for the info about the button on the dash. I will look for the solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts