Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rotated my winter tires off and my summer tires on with new tires on the back and worn tires on the front. I also had an alignment.

On my way home from the alignment on a medium speed corner the ESP/ESC/TC activated on dry pavement when I wasn't pushing it. Is the ESP very sensitive to mismatched tire diameters?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After test driving the car some more I found that I could consistently get the ESP to activate in medium speed sweepers like you would find at a freeway on-ramp. I swapped the winter tires back on and the problem went away. I went ahead and purchased two new summer tires (stock 215/55-r16 ContiProContacts) and now the problem is gone. I am left to conclude that my nearly worn out front tires and brand new rear tires were too far off in diameter. This is a disappointing decision that Ford made when designing the ESP since even the tire shop employees informed me that I had usable tread left on those front tires (I believe that they measured it as 5/32"). That would have put the diameter mismatch at 5/16th of an inch between front and back.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
That's not it I promise you. Those tire were losing traction. You basically had uneven traction. You would be surprised how much the size of a tire will change just on air pressure alone.

I would guess those new rear tires had significantly more grip.

Did you try rotating those front tires to the rear?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's not it I promise you. Those tire were losing traction.
Well, the Quick Lane by my house disagrees with you. Also, the ESP was breaking the front outside tire AFAICT.

Did you try rotating those front tires to the rear?
No, because then I would have had the new tires on the front which is advised against.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Well I've been working on cars for a long time. I went to school for it and I don't agree with what they told you.

You can form your own opinion and believe what you want but you asked a question and gave me a rude response back.

Glad your problem is solved.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts