Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the rents bought me my focus. 03 sedan with an ATX SPI. I'd like to do a manual swap. I have no friggin clue how to start so I'm def interested in a shop's pricing here. What am I looking at for a grand total here. I can only afford around $2,000

and if I do the swap, forget any further mods for a while...

is it worth it? or should I not mod this car and wait until I get a car on my own that's worth modding.

I mean I really enjoy working on it, but at the end of the day its an automatic with 110HP I don;t want to be one of those dudes I hate with a real nice looking car then you come to find out its a weak engine and an ATX.

this guy in my town has a real sweet looking thunderbird, put tons of money into it, but it can't go more than 90MPH, that's just pointless to me.

While I probly will rarely go that fast, and my main goal is to have a "classy ride" I think I would need to do some major engine work to get up there. which costs money i don't have... but on the other side maybe a manual will unleash some hidden power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Well, R&R for a tranny is at least $600-700 at a shop, now add in the time for them to swap shifter linkage (maybe drive shafts) and do some re-wireing. Then add in the cost of the tranny ($400 used?) and flywheel and clutch kit.
If your lucky you can find some one to buy your old auto to off set the cost. You might have a hard time finding a shop to take a project like this on. Cant hurt to call around and ask for quotes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
If you want to make your money go the farthest, you'd be better off selling this one and finding one with a manual. If your make out well you'd break even, and then you'd have 2K to do mods with...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
I believe you need to replace the ECU also, unless there is a separate module for the transmission.

What mvhudson said, it's not worth it. The only possible way it would be worth it is if you are just in love with your current body/interior or had already spent tons of money on it etc. If you price it out, you will find that you could virtually (and maybe even literally) purchase a Focus with a MTX WHILE KEEPING YOUR CURRENT CAR and it will be cheaper than replacing the ATX.

Or you could keep what you have and look for ways to make it enjoyable to you, what others think be damned.....

Think about a built ATX from Lentech or Level10, build yourself a bracket racer (a slow, but consistent, bracket racer)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,602 Posts
2-3k
sell atx buy mtx it is easier
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
all right guys. worse case scenario is about $1200-$1300 depending on how much shit u have to replace. i paid $900 for the ib5 trans, axles, cpu, complete harness (f'n sucked, ill get to that in a min), clutch, pressure plate, flywheel. i had a nitemare doing this b/c i got screwed on my parts. clutch/pp was no good, had to replace them immediately ($220). flywheel resurfaced. new axle ($75) pass side. and the harness, damnit.....the only thing u have to do is order the trans harness, goes from the outside fuse panel, o2 sensor, power steering pressure switch, alternator, and back up lights. one damn piece of wire harness. like $40 at the ford dealer. i re-did all of my wiring, b/c he sent me the wrong year harness. but buy the trans, the one piece of wire harness, NEW clutch kit, should come w/ a flywheel, and u must buy a new trans mount from the ford dealer. u have to get the shifter and cables, but their not too bad to replace. u can run the old cpu, it doesnt matter, i am. but u can go to a salvage yard and buy a used cpu, if u can find one. pm me if interested, i did all the labor myself. a shop will prob charge like $800 to do the conversion. im not sure. if u want to bring it down to Arkansas, i'll do it for $500 or so. u provide the parts....seriously
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
mvhudson said:
If you want to make your money go the farthest, you'd be better off selling this one and finding one with a manual. If your make out well you'd break even, and then you'd have 2K to do mods with...
i laugh at the statement, hahaha [hah]. but it will cost $1500 installed if i did it, and prob $2k if a shop did it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
focus_group said:
all right guys. worse case scenario is about $1200-$1300 depending on how much shit u have to replace. i paid $900 for the ib5 trans, axles, cpu, complete harness (f'n sucked, ill get to that in a min), clutch, pressure plate, flywheel. i had a nitemare doing this b/c i got screwed on my parts. clutch/pp was no good, had to replace them immediately ($220). flywheel resurfaced. new axle ($75) pass side. and the harness, damnit.....the only thing u have to do is order the trans harness, goes from the outside fuse panel, o2 sensor, power steering pressure switch, alternator, and back up lights. one damn piece of wire harness. like $40 at the ford dealer. i re-did all of my wiring, b/c he sent me the wrong year harness. but buy the trans, the one piece of wire harness, NEW clutch kit, should come w/ a flywheel, and u must buy a new trans mount from the ford dealer. u have to get the shifter and cables, but their not too bad to replace. u can run the old cpu, it doesnt matter, i am. but u can go to a salvage yard and buy a used cpu, if u can find one. pm me if interested, i did all the labor myself. a shop will prob charge like $800 to do the conversion. im not sure. if u want to bring it down to Arkansas, i'll do it for $500 or so. u provide the parts....seriously

Thats a possibility. I may be getting an internship in Arkansas next summer. But if I don't then I gues I either drop a ton of cash and hope for the best, or just suck it up and stick with the auto.


About selling the car, I thought about that, a focus was not even my first choice. I asked my parents for a 4 cyl. Import with a MTX that has about 80K miles on it. They brought home a focus with 20K mile and an ATX and the spent twice as much as they said the would to get the focus.

They paid $10,000 for one with an SPI, if you ask me thats a little rediculous, I think they got ripped off, but beggers cannot be choosers. And I'm very greatful to have a car with such low miles and so new. So it would start a fight if I sold it, also I got it appraised at CarMAx, they said $7500 when it was at 28k If they had gotten closer to $9 I would have walked away with a check in my hand. and boughten a Sentra SER down the street, or financed a Scion tC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
really? where? i definately help u out if possible. what part of arkansas will u be in. im well experienced with my focus....inside and out. i've done basically everything u can do to a fucus except turbo it.....now for the rest of the story (haha). which will get done as soon as i replace the condensor, radiator, buy a turbo, more civic intake tubes (i made a real CAI from 2 focus intakes, and one 92- civic and dropped the filter right below the driver headlight by the bottom of the bumper), and an intercooler w/ fan. let me know where and when u are trying to get the internship and if i know them, i'll try to help out w/ that also. if its in NE Arkansas, then i prob know them. pm me, l8tr
 

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
Joined
·
4,894 Posts
I wouldn't bother with this....

Too much work, too much money.

Like everyone else is saying.. you are better off selling the ATX and buying an MTX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
focus_group said:
really? where? i definately help u out if possible. what part of arkansas will u be in. im well experienced with my focus....inside and out. i've done basically everything u can do to a fucus except turbo it.....now for the rest of the story (haha). which will get done as soon as i replace the condensor, radiator, buy a turbo, more civic intake tubes (i made a real CAI from 2 focus intakes, and one 92- civic and dropped the filter right below the driver headlight by the bottom of the bumper), and an intercooler w/ fan. let me know where and when u are trying to get the internship and if i know them, i'll try to help out w/ that also. if its in NE Arkansas, then i prob know them. pm me, l8tr
The internship would be with Walmart/US Government. I don't know where it is exactly, but maybe you would know. Its with the IT department. Walmart shares their IT with the governement.

If I get it I'll let you know. I have a few things I'd like to do too. If I had enough money to do the swap and a turbo I would do it in a heart beat... although I did just get a raise on my credit limit, so I might just go in debt for it. But only if I'm going out there, if not I don't know if I would trust a local shop around here.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top