Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Auto 2.0 with 88,000 miles.

With engine warm idle will sometimes increase to 1200 - 1300 RPM's randomly. At other times the RPM's will drop and sometimes the engine will die.

I'd say an IAC valve, but I guess these engines don't have this valve. I cleaned the MAF and the Throttle Body using the correct cleaner with no change.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,519 Posts
Like mentioned check for a vacuum leak or air leak of some kind. The PCV system is generally always a prime suspect. Some kind of unnatural air leak might exist but it could also be a bad throttle body. The 2012 up 2.0L doesn't get this code very often in general. At 88k miles I wouldn't think that the TB would be very dirty and since you already cleaned it with no change you already scratched that off the list.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The EVAP system could be a cause for this code but it would generally give you a separate additional code for an EVAP problem. However, I remember there was an update in the recall for the PCM to register a code if the purge valve malfunctioned whereas there wasn't before the recall was done up to a certain year. If the recall hasn't been done and your 2015 was made before Ford updated the software then it's a possibility. A malfunctioning purge valve usually gives noticeable symptoms. Is there anything else odd about the car that you can think of?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't received anything on a recall on the Evap system. I just did the VIN search on the Ford site and it said no recalls.

Looking for a vac leak today.

I looked on Advance, Autozone and Amazon for a PCV valve and they don't show anything?

So speaking of weird. We refueled one day and the car wouldn't start. Took a couple minutes to get it started. That was a couple months ago. I refueled the other day and it started, it just took longer than usual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haven't received anything on a recall on the Evap system. I just did the VIN search on the Ford site and it said no recalls.

I looked on Advance, Autozone and Amazon for a PCV valve and they don't show anything?

So speaking of weird. We refueled one day and the car wouldn't start. Took a couple minutes to get it started. That was a couple months ago. I refueled the other day and it started, it just took longer than usual.
I could bd mistaken, I could have swore there was a pcv coming out of the oil separator that attaches to the vac line that goes to intake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Those symptoms would definitely be indicative of a bad purge valve. I would definitely replace it. If it wasn't an outstanding recall on the Ford owner page then the recall was done in the past or at least it was marked as done. I've known and have heard of people that had recalls supposedly done and recorded as such but were in fact not done at all. I know someone that had a fuel tank check valve recall on his truck and took it to the dealer who marked it as done. He had to drop the tank a month later for a fuel pump going bad and discovered that the tank strap bolts were unusually rusty for supposedly just having been removed a few weeks before and the check valve was definitely not new. Dealers get paid less for warranty work so dishonest ones will sometimes do this.
Having said all that the purge valve is something that commonly goes bad so even if it were replaced the replacement may now be malfunctioning as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I changed the valve on Monday night. Super easy to change. It comes with a new mount bracket that attaches it to the engine. I just pulled the old valve off the bracket that is attached with a rubber mount and installed the new valve on the old bracket that was still attached to the engine.. Kept me from having to remove the bracket.

It seems to be running better with no high idle or attempts to die at stops. I've only driven it a few miles each day, so I'm curious if the symptoms will return when I drive it further and it really warms up.

Thanks for everyone's help. Hopefully it's resolved :)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I changed the valve on Monday night. Super easy to change. It comes with a new mount bracket that attaches it to the engine. I just pulled the old valve off the bracket that is attached with a rubber mount and installed the new valve on the old bracket that was still attached to the engine.. Kept me from having to remove the bracket.

It seems to be running better with no high idle or attempts to die at stops. I've only driven it a few miles each day, so I'm curious if the symptoms will return when I drive it further and it really warms up.

Thanks for everyone's help. Hopefully it's resolved :)
Glad to hear that it seems to have fixed it.
Note that like I said in my comment above the purge valve recall, if done at a Ford dealer, would have updated your software to give you a trouble code if the valve fails. This makes me think that your car never had the recall performed or at least properly since it didn't give a more specific additional code for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to hear that it seems to have fixed it.
Note that like I said in my comment above the purge valve recall, if done at a Ford dealer, would have updated your software to give you a trouble code if the valve fails. This makes me think that your car never had the recall performed or at least properly since it didn't give a more specific additional code for it.
It's weird about that recall. I've owned the car since Oct 2015, so I know the recall wasn't done. I entered my VIN and it said no recalls, but the News Sites (frequently wrong) said "The recall affects Focuses manufactured from 2012 to 2018 that are equipped with either a 2.0-liter GDI or GTDI engine."

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It's weird about that recall. I've owned the car since Oct 2015, so I know the recall wasn't done. I entered my VIN and it said no recalls, but the News Sites (frequently wrong) said "The recall affects Focuses manufactured from 2012 to 2018 that are equipped with either a 2.0-liter GDI or GTDI engine."
The Ford recall statement includes pretty much all 2012-18 2.0L Focuses but they may have left some out of the actual recall list. Perhaps your car was one of the few that they squirmed their way out of having to issue a recall for. Or, maybe someone marked it as recall completed though idk how that would be possible if the car wasn't even ever at a dealership.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts