Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have the A/C on...my 2001 SE idles up and down (almost stalling). As soon as I turn the A/C off it idles fine. Today when i attempted to start the car it was dead. I'm assuming it's the alternator?

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
789 Posts
take your alternator and battery to auto zone and get them tested. your problem sounds kind of like your a/c pully isn't spinning smoothly like it should be. you might want to take it off the car and inspect it(or get it inspected).

·
Registered
13 Posts
did you ever figure this one out? I am having the exact same problem on my 2001 SE! It is a pain. I have read other solutions online that suggest it might be the coil pack. Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
The IAC controls the idle while the AC is on.

Of course, you could have AC compressor problems, but if the compressor is working and you're getting cool air- then I'd have to guess it was the IAC.

·
Banned
85 Posts
did you ever figure this one out? I am having the exact same problem on my 2001 SE! It is a pain. I have read other solutions online that suggest it might be the coil pack. Thanks
i dont think its the coil pack, cuz i have the same problem, and i already change the coilpack and the problem still there.

so im with the opinion bout the alternator and the pulley, i will check this out and i'll let you kno if i get it done with this .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No...haven't figured out the issue...I found my idle is choppy with just the fan on also...fortunately since the weather is finally getting cooler here in Virginia I've just been doing the windows down thing for now...but I need to get it resolved

·
Registered
789 Posts
sounds like more of an electrical issue now that you say that it happens with the fans on too. check all of your grounds and make sure that they have good connections. take each of them off and clean the contact spots with a wire brush and some rubbing alcohol and reconnect them. same with your battery.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The IAC is supposed to compensate for any load related change in engine idle speed. If its response is not smooth, you may see an overshoot followed by an "undershoot" in engine idle speed. Electrical loads translate into engine loads via the alternator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts