Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do u like it.. Specifically the pull-drift compensation? Have you noticed any diiference say on crowned roads.. -thanks!

·
Registered
613 Posts
The 1999 Accord that my Focus replaced was terrible on these sorts of roads and required constant correction. The Focus SE hatch that I replaced it with has been great and I have not experienced any of the tracking issues that others have suffered from.

Driving in windy conditions and passing trucks is another story all together. A perfect example would be this past Sunday.... while out driving in the winds left over from the departing Hurricane Irene , the car required no correction on my part to keep tracking along straight. It was a strange feeling. Very odd to be able to feel the wind forcefully pushing against the side of car and not having to make a single steering input to compensate. That feeling is going to take some getting used to.

·
Registered
524 Posts
So far I really like the feel of the steering but I'm not sure how to tell if it actually compensating for anything. Ideally you shouldn't notice anything and that has been my experience so far although I haven't done a ton of highway driving yet. Only one 1 hour trip so far.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need to do a nice test drive to see how it feels as I'm still in early phase looking to buy.. It would be great if it sort of removes the road crown feel..

·
Registered
747 Posts
I love it. Took a long drive to a neighboring city and i really liked how the steering firmed up at constant high speed.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Now that I'm starting to get used to it at 3000 miles I'm really liking it. At first the steering wheel didn't seem to center itself coming out of a turn. Now it definitely does.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I test drove a new Focus yesterday. It's very smooth. In fact, I described it as "sublime".
I like it. Sure, it feels like you aren't getting as much feedback from the road, but at the same time, it feels like the car handles very well at high speeds because of it. I also noticed that it was incredibly responsive.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It is a matter of getting used to it. I could drive with one hand on the highway now. Before, I did it with two hands. Likely, you have to get the tires worn down a bit and also get used to the feeling of electric steering. The system is very responsive and the complete opposite of the steering of my old 2007 Grand Marquis. I think that over time, it will get nothing but better. It is a brand new car and just like the engine, the parts have to wear in properly. BTW, my car has over 1500 miles on it!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well, I had a defective steering rack right off the bat. Upon getting a replacement, things seem to be much better. I'm still probably overanalyzing it on the highway since the car used to be all over the place. It's definetely different than your conventional hydraulic steering system, but I haven't really had time with the replacement rack to really analyze whether or not I like it yet. But, at least the car doesn't make me look like I'm OUI on the highway anymore.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Another thing to consider is low profile tires. My Titanium has 50 series tires (17" wheels). Continental tires are not the best and if I was to replace it, I would do it with Goodyears or even Tiger Paw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i dont really like it, i hate it when im on the highway and if the steering wheel moves even the slightest bit youre practically in the next (or oncoming lane). i cant stand it. i love everything else about the car though

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine is rock-solid and gets noticeably stiffer at higher speeds. My only problem with steering is a low-speed left turn. The pillar creates a bothersome blind spot on the driver's side.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I would guess I must like it because i have never noticed it once in over 2,000 miles.
So it must agree with me.

When I first bought my former car, i noted just how much a sidewind would try to blow me across the road...
This new car. nothing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, sidewind effects are probably more about good wind tunnel design than the EPAS, having said that I find the steering fine, having come from a conventional PAS I found no driving adaption was necessary. There is good feel and excellent 'turn in', which is more important to me on our twisty roads.
Chris

·
Registered
290 Posts
i dont really like it, i hate it when im on the highway and if the steering wheel moves even the slightest bit youre practically in the next (or oncoming lane). i cant stand it. i love everything else about the car though
If it does this, you've got a defective steering rack. There is a TSB out on this... Search the forum for details.

New steering rack fixes it, in most cases.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I love the steering feel. In sum, the EPAS makes the Focus feel like a much heavier vehicle. The added sense of stability is great on the windy coastal highway I drive everyday to work. I am quite surprised that I haven't noticed any differences from a "conventional" hydraulic PS system (except the lack of any squeal at full lock).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts