Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ninja lurker status
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I race in Empty Prepared and am in the planning phase for some WIDE wheels in the future.
Overkill or not, i want to get some 16x10 wheels. I do not want to have the wheels simply poking out. I am thinking of making some One-Off fender flares.

Anybody else ever think about this? done this? gave up on this?

I am torn between this idea
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/metal-box-flare-construction-thread/30763/page1/

and something along the lines of

Wider than it is Long: A build thread. - StanceWorks

The car would be trailered to and from the track. I just would want the look to be "finished off"

i might even be getting 16x12 as that is the widest EP allows.
i do plan on competing at the state level and hopefully national level in the future

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I'm no help technically.
I guess it depends on your resources.
The first method would probably be a cleaner design, but would be a lot better if you are able to do some streching.

Though the second thread is pretty epic.
That amaount of body filler would probably not be optimal on a race car.

·
ninja lurker status
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, as far as the second option goes, i wouldn't have it all "bubbly" looking.
i would use most of the fender to kinda look closer to the first style, but using a pre-existing fender for most of the metal instead of doing it entirely from scratch.

so i guess it would be option 1 or a combination of option 1 and 2 lol
my welding is good enough, and i have some buddies with body shop experience for the finishing touches.

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
What was that one guys name The Norm? He had a fully wide wheeled preped focus that was kicking butt. I know he went to discount tire and bought the widest steelie wheel he could fit, then cut his fenders, and attached some flares. Looked hella good too, all functions turned form lol

·
ninja lurker status
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And they would be within the rules since they would be needed to clear the wheels. [grinking]

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I'm a little late to the party,

the wheels i originally bought were Diamond Racing. 15x10. but i found them to be a little heavy. My next set was 949 Racing 6UL, 15x10 with a 19mm bolt patern adapter. dropped a lot of weight.

I see now that 949 now has 15x11" wheels.

heres the thread on the Diamonds. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/ford-focus-builds-general-showroom/230916-what-can-10-do-you-;.html
heres the thread on the 949 http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/autocross-racing/280040-perfect-auto-x-wheel.html
search some of my other threads for pictures of my F2 fender flares.

·
ninja lurker status
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.
It will be a long while until I get them.

How heavy were the diamonds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts