Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right, as this is my first post here ill try and give a bit of background, im not overly interested in changing the car much, but who knows if i find myself with money to burn some day ;)

i recently bought a [/me checks documentation to get this exactly right ;)] '99 Focus 2.0 Zetec-E 16V, its only got 20k Miles on the clock and seems to be in absolutely perfect condition. from comparing it with other cars of the same age i see on the road, i think the previous owner has changed the exhaust for something a little more sporty, but apart from that it seems completely standard.

ive found that whilst accelerating gently at around 2.5 - 3.5k revs the engine emits a high pitched whistle that sounds almost like a turbo, from listening with the bonnet open it seems to come from the intake manifold area.

my question is simply: is this normal?

or is it an early sign of some kind of problem, ive had a bit of a search about but the only reference ive found is one guy noticing this after modifying the air intake in the hope of increasing intake pressure.

im not a mechanic, so im not going to go into anything complicated, but i am a mechanical engineer, so having a good look inside things is an option ;)

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
thats quite odd.. never heard such a think... the only think i can think of is maybe you have a tear some where on your intake hosing near your throttle body...

are you sure its coming from the engine and its not just the wind blowing while on the road?

oh and welcome to the forum.. qwick qeustion.. whats a bonnet?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ROFL! sorry ... bonnet = hood?

yeah im sure .. even with the car stationary ive had a good listen whilst revving the engine by hand.

ill have a look at all the ducting then and see if i can see any damage there.

performance is great (though ive never driven another to compare), i just know that i can leave similar 16V cars way behind me if i try :D

thanks for the suggestion and the welcome :)

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
well i dont think its normal.. have you looked at the filter? there might be somthing in there.. check that out if you havent.. other than that i cant think of anything.. but i dont want to say its normal.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Welcome to the board!, I'l agree with fokuz that it is probably coming from the intake somewhere. You mentioned the car had an aftermarket exhaust,.Did it also have an after market intake?. If you are not sure look at yours then look at a stock new one at a dealer and see if they are the same..tThe intakes will make quite a bit of noise, if it is stock, there is probably a slight air leak somewhere. A few questions, Europe has a lot of motors we do not on the focus, What kind of engine do you have ? Also, if you think it is a slight air leak on the intake, the best way to find it is with a light petrol spray such as wd-40 or any other light oil in a spray can.
he way to check is , with the car running, watch the moving bits under the "bonnet" and spray the wd-40 around the intake boot and the various joints in that area. If there is a leak, the oil will seal it for a short period of time ( 1-2 seconds), either the pitch of the sound of the engine will change slightly or the idle will go down slightly, and then when the motor sucks the oil back in it will change back. If that happens you have a leak, but now you know where it is and how to fix it!!.
Then return all your parts to the boot and then go to the auto store, watch for the loories on the way. lol...my wife is British. Let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, im going to have a look now. dont have any wd40 atm so ill limit myself to a close visual, with perhaps a bit of dismantling (depends on the tools needed).

the type of engine is as stated in the first post here 2.0 Zetec-E 16V thats what my manual says so its the best i can do :)

also, i think comparing to one at a dealer will be no good as the car is almost 4 years old so the new 2.0 Zetec will almost certainly have evolved. i will be paying close attention to any text or logos i can find though.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
sorry didn't reread the original post, that is the same engine we have..yeah if you can find the source of the whistle you are done!!, the wd40 just helps

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I found ...

k, to start with i cant see anything non-standard, the intake manifolds huge isnt it? cant really see where it ends down there. anyway, everything seems to have a ford logo on it.

i had a brief look at the air filter and the ducting, all seems clean and in order.

the sound seems to be coming from the throttle assembly, so i removed the ducting and ran the engine with no filter for a bit. this makes it even clearer that the ducting has nothing to do with it, the whistle is from the throttle or manifold.

with the ducting removed and the throttle assembly in plain view, it seems that the noise is simply from air being pulled in around the [need technical term: gate? valve? throttle? white ceramic looking plates that regulate airflow at the top], it happens with the throttle about 1/4 or 1/3 open and with the engine accelerating.

everything looks clean and in order, without dismantling it i dont think i can give you any more to go on. perhaps i could go to a ford dealer and see if theyll look at it for free, at least to tell me if its a known problem :-/

·
Registered
348 Posts
It could be u have a aftermarket throttle body if u do look at the butterfly if it says "Focuz Central" then u do have one my friend, I have one and when im driving it whistles like a turbo at high rpms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"butterfly" .. thankyou :D

going to check :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope, no text on the butterfly, and ford logo on the outside of the throttle assembly.

·
Registered
348 Posts
hmm my thoughts are it could be a air leak like what everyone else it thinking.....sorry thats as far as i can help you.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Check around the base of the throttle body with a spray as I described above, or is the sound coming from inside the throttle body?? it may be a inherent noise and you have good ears...a strange question, but are you a musician??, the sensitive ear type...I ask because I am like that!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ill have a go with the light oil method some time, but not tomorrow as i dont think ill be able to get hold of any wd40 on a sunday.

other people can hear the whistle, at least when i say "there, at that speed, can you hear it?" they nod and look at the same place as me. i dont think my ears are particularly special and im definately no musician ;)

as to where it comes from, as i dont have a digital camera ive drawn a diagram showing where my ears tell me the noise is. to me it seems like air rushing past the butterfly, circled in red.

·
Registered
348 Posts
u just have a special throttle body [clap] hahah

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
maybey whistle back at a louder noise and it'll stop? ok that was bad I'm sorry :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have quite a few whistles from my car lol. One comes from my tensioner, one comes from somewhere unknown and my newest addition to my personal symphony is my Focus Central 65 mm Throttle Body. It's pulling in so much more air you can hear it whistle at low RPM's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok ok .. i dont think its a problem, im sure the noise is coming from the throttle as the air gets pulled into the manifold.

whats the "Whistle while you work" solution then? ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts