Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I was wondering if someone here would be kind enough to help me figure out what the problem is with my car.

When my car is idle I feel strong vibrations that I assume are coming from the engine. The vibrations are strong enough to shake the compartment between the seats. The only time they stop is when I put the car in park or neutral. Maybe its the engine mounts?

I searched the forum to see if anyone had the same problem but none of the threads fit my conditions.

These are the specs for my car: 2006 ZX5 Focus SE. 19000 miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i dont know if this helps but my zetec has engine shudder ever 3 seconds or so when im parked, sounds like the engine slightly struggles to stay running for a split second then it runs fine, then 3 seconds later it happens again. dunno what it is :( i think i might have to unplug the battery and relearn my ecu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well not quite, mine has a constant vibration rather than a pulse but thanks. I figured I'd ask for help here since this site is dedicated to the focus. After further doing research I have a feeling its the engine mounts.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Welcome to FF !!

[ffrocks]

Let's go a bit deeper in identifying the symptoms before we throw out "possibles"

1. Does the vibration occur all the time? When the engine is cold? When the engine is warm?

2. Does the car shudder/vibrate under acceleration or ONLY at an idle?

3. Is the vibration confined only to the steering wheel or does it radiate across the dashboard?

4. Have you measured your gas mileage to determine if there is a drop off?

5. Is there a noticable drop off in performance (i.e. stumbling, slow to accelerate?)

6. when was the last service done to the car? (I see you only have 19k on the odo, but sometimes people put plugs in the car etc.)

Let's start with these and see what else the car tells us. [thumb]

·
Registered
804 Posts
do you have any mods that could've caused this before it happened?

um perhaps since ur in New jersey did this car ever plow through or sit in a good pile of snow stiffening up lubricated bolts mounts or parts? lol i donno sorry just throwing out some possibilities

the cars seems to new still
so good luck with your solution
Welcome to FF!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to FF !!

[ffrocks]

Let's go a bit deeper in identifying the symptoms before we throw out "possibles"

1. Does the vibration occur all the time? When the engine is cold? When the engine is warm?

2. Does the car shudder/vibrate under acceleration or ONLY at an idle?

3. Is the vibration confined only to the steering wheel or does it radiate across the dashboard?

4. Have you measured your gas mileage to determine if there is a drop off?

5. Is there a noticable drop off in performance (i.e. stumbling, slow to accelerate?)

6. when was the last service done to the car? (I see you only have 19k on the odo, but sometimes people put plugs in the car etc.)

Let's start with these and see what else the car tells us. [thumb]

First off, thanks to everyone for taking the time out to look at this thread, I really appreciate it. And thanks Weasp for giving me these questions to answer!

1. I haven't really noticed a difference in when it happens temperature-wise. But on some days the vibrations are stronger than others. Sometimes its strong enough to shake whatever is in my center compartment.

2. If it does vibrate while accelerating its not enough for me to feel it inside the car. However, I do always feel it when idle.

3. I feel the vibrations mostly in the steering wheel, center console, and under the driver seat. If you put your hand on the dashboard you can slightly feel the vibrations too.

4. I do keep track of my gas mileage and it did drop 2 miles per gallon two months ago but at the same time I did change my driving habits as I got a new job.

5. No there's no drop in performance.

6. I haven't had any type of special service to the car except my regular oil changes and tire rotations since I first bought it.

And no I do not have any mods and it hasn't snowed for nearly 11 months hahaha.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
1. I haven't really noticed a difference in when it happens temperature-wise. But on some days the vibrations are stronger than others. Sometimes its strong enough to shake whatever is in my center compartment.

2. If it does vibrate while accelerating its not enough for me to feel it inside the car. However, I do always feel it when idle.

3. I feel the vibrations mostly in the steering wheel, center console, and under the driver seat. If you put your hand on the dashboard you can slightly feel the vibrations too.

4. I do keep track of my gas mileage and it did drop 2 miles per gallon two months ago but at the same time I did change my driving habits as I got a new job.

5. No there's no drop in performance.

6. I haven't had any type of special service to the car except my regular oil changes and tire rotations since I first bought it.

And no I do not have any mods and it hasn't snowed for nearly 11 months hahaha.
No worries and happy to help.

I am more inclined to believe that it is a physical issue (i.e. a broken mount), but I am not ruling performance out because of the idle vibration.

Harmonics are funny in a car. It can originate deep inside the motor and manifest itself in many places.

I would start by looking at the transmission mounts as you are feeling it in the seat.

With the vibration you describe, it should be fairly easy to see if there is a problem.

from there, move north to the engine mounts. The "dogbone" on the front of the engine and underneath.

If all of those components are intact, then I would move to diagnosing a running problem.

However, you only have 19K on the odometer. All of these items should be covered as part of the manufacturer warranty.

I would also check to see if any spark plug wires have come loose either at the coil or at the plug. I would also inspect them for visible cracks or "scoring". If the wires are arcing electricity, the scoring will show up as black or brown streaks across the plug wires.

Those are the simple things to check.

I would assume that there is no check engine light?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow. Excelent thread. I'm having the exact same problem. I'm going to see if there are any other threads/posts/forums anywhere that will show where the transmission, and engine mounts are.

<--- car noob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for this thread guys. My car is at the garage as we speak for a collapsed PCV hose and valve replacement (it was sputtering). I also have this same vibration that you describe here. It is really bad at startup when the car is cold. It vibrates the whole front of the car mostly along the dashboard area. My mechanic told me it was the engine mounts.

Where are these? Are they difficult to replace? For a guy who is handy but doesn't have a ton of car experience where would this rate on a 1-10...? I have replaced a couple of alternators and an 02 sensor among other small things. I am not that experienced...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah my vibrations don't seem to be consistent. The vibration wasn't strong when I first started up my car today but once it got warmed up they got stronger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting, I am having a similar problem , but only at start up in the morning and it goes away after engine has warmed up. Here is the strange part when I start up the car first thing in the morning I can here what seems to be a rough idle, I get out of the car pop the hood in the dark , no signs of anything unusual, sit back in the car and noise gets louder,get out of the car and the noise gets less. Checked the power steering fluid level and it is ok. Any ideas anyone.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mine is just like Pezlam's. It is a vibration of every 3 sec. Any ideas ??? It vibrates constantly, but there is this kinda dip every 3 seconds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I went to the ford dealership today to see if they'd take a look at my car's engine and they basically sent me home without looking at my car.

Bobby, the nice fat guy behind the counter, told me it wasn't uncommon to experience engine vibrations inside the car but was stumped when I told him there were no check engine lights on. He said if there was a check engine light on that it could possibly be an engine missfire. He also told me that it could be dirty fuel injectors or a bad tank of gas.

I asked him if they'd look at my car anyway and he said it would cost 90 dollars even if there wasn't anything wrong with the car. He also told me that since I didn't go to their dealership to get my oil changes that its possible something could be broken (assuming my mechanic broke something) and that would void my warranty.

Basically, I don't think Bobby wanted to even step outside his office that day so I told him I'd come back if it got worse.

Does anyone think that getting my fuel injectors cleaned or going to a new gas station would fix this problem? I normally go to BP for my gas.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a similar issue and turned out to be the pass. side engine mount. the first dealer I took it to couldn't figure it out because it does not show on the computer. The second dealer had heard of this before and inspected the mounts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
They threw most of the list of "we don't want to bother looking at that" excuses at you. It's possible to get a bad tank of gas, but I point out that my gas cap has the words "Ford recommends BP" printed on it, so they can't fault you there.

The fuel injector cleaner will cost $100 to do basically nothing for a 3 year old car.

Taking your car somewhere other than the dealer for maintenance does NOT void your warranty, there is a federal law against this.

Time to complain to his manager, and if they blow you off, file a complaint with the better business bureau.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i have the same problem car idles slightly lower in a throbbing pattern and slight vibrations more like its bucking as if it will stall headlights dim also, as for the constant vibration problem i had the same thing replaced drivers and lower motor mount then replaced and passenger side one and of course problem solved no more bad vibrations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So after looking at my car and having friends look at my car, I've discovered that the top engine mount on the passenger side of the car is cracked.

I'm bringing my car to be looked at by ford tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the motor mounts are covered by Ford's power train warranty?

Any suggestions as to what I should do about this before I leave for ford tomorrow morning?

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have the same problem car idles slightly lower in a throbbing pattern and slight vibrations more like its bucking as if it will stall headlights dim also, as for the constant vibration problem i had the same thing replaced drivers and lower motor mount then replaced and passenger side one and of course problem solved no more bad vibrations.

for that first problem... the throbbing pattern and bucking/stalling... check your MAF sensor first. i left mine disconnected the other day by accident [?|] and it did the same thing pretty bad- with a CEL and bucking and dying if i was stopped for too long. if its dirty it would be similar. get some MAF cleaner.

also, i had a similar issue in my old golf and it was a *really* dirty throttle body. it would happen more noticeably when the A/C compressor was on. my car which i just picked up a few days ago has a very very slight hesitation like this at idle every few seconds, similar to what two other people are describing further up in this thread (malin & pezlam). when i finally get a chance this weekend im throwing some seafoam deep creep into the throttle body and engine, cleaning out the TB and the MAF sensor. that stuff is like magic. if that doesn't help, im inclined to think fuel filter, but im not sure...

·
Registered
37 Posts
So after looking at my car and having friends look at my car, I've discovered that the top engine mount on the passenger side of the car is cracked.

I'm bringing my car to be looked at by ford tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the motor mounts are covered by Ford's power train warranty?

Any suggestions as to what I should do about this before I leave for ford tomorrow morning?
Did you end up replacing the mount? Did it fix the problem? I'm having a very similar problem and looking for ideas.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts