Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Two weeks ago I serviced my car, it is all explained step by step in this thread. My engine mount was leaking and vibrating in reverse gear, so I changed it for a NAPA one.

The problem is that my engine in vibrating more than before. It is making the noise in drive and neutral when the car is cold, and only in drive when the car is hot. This noise started after the service, so I am pretty much sure It has to be related to this part, because no other can cause it. When I jack the car when it is running, it stops.

I am thinking the NAPA mount might be a complete deception and piece of crap. I checked today the torque of the bolts and everything seemed to be correct.

Only problem now is that I am going to have to buy the tools to get this changed, because I don't want to use my friend's house anymore, I am overusing it already. So I want to make sure, it is this mount, and not the rear one (the one in driver's side), which I don't reach to see, I guess is under the ignition system.

When I was checking the noise today I noticed something that I don't know if it's normal. When changing gears from N to D, the whole engine swinged in the hood, and it was easy to notice. I never saw this before, because I didn't have someone to change gears for me. I can shoot a video of it, if necessary.

How bad can the vibration result to the engine? is NAPA going to refund a 60 dollars piece? I am already out of budget.

Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
My mounts need replacing, I've ignored them for a while. It should be ok, just an annoyance. As far as causing any other problems as a result- it's possible, but there's no way to predict if it will or won't.

Other people have reported problems with NAPA motor mounts. I'd remove the mount, take it back, and show them that it failed. Maybe you'll get another one that will last longer. In the future, I'd order a Ford part from Mike at Hilbish. His prices are incredibly good, and you'll likely be upset at yourself because the OEM mount will cost less than NAPA's I'm sure.

Personally, I'd like to replace all mine with poly mounts over time, and when I do decide to replace one, that's what I'll replace it with and then I'll deal with the increased vibrations.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Go with CFM, they make the best mounts you could hope to buy in your life. If you need proof, just ask one of the guys on here that have them, their great. They are a bit pricey, but you really do get what you pay for. Here's their web-site. www.C-F-M.com

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Oh yea, and go to the store, not the products section.

haha, oops.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thank you all for your help. I think I have paid being a novice here, because I didn't know the brands or anything. When I was working on the car I realized the mount was screwed and I needed a replace right there.

NAPA mount didn't work more than a week, which is frustrating. I am going to try to find what they will do when I take there, if I get a refund I will call Hillbish for a OEM part, I don't have the money for a better mount than that, I am only owning this car for a year. If it was going to be mine for a while, I would have started putting more hp on it.

Thank you. Nobody said anything about the swing of the engine when I change gears, is that normal?

·
Subcompact Fanatic
2,175 Posts
I owned an 02 SPI that had all 4 motor mounts completely worned, except mines only makes a metal to metal grinding sound when it is cold+in drive+and the steering wheel turned all the way to the right.

The local business shop supplys napa part and had all of the motor mounts replaced, Maybe you got a couple of defected ones because I was always satisfied with napas parts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my opinion there is quite a bit of throw in the engine when you have the stock mounts. I have the zetec DOHC and with the stock mounts in it would hit on the firewall or something and clunk when I shifted hard. I went to Steeda upper mounts and a CFM lower mount. It is soooo much better now! Much stiffer, but the steering wheel shakes at idle now. I don't mind it because I am building it to run at the track anyways. If its a daily driver and your not racing I recommend OEM upper mounts and the CFM lower so it doesn't vibrate much and you reduce how much throw you get from the motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts