Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 se 2.0 auto (x-rental)
Today is the first day in 2 months, since I've owned this car, I didn't use airconditioning. At a red light I felt slow idle vibration.

I have noticed a slight vibration on the highway from time to time but I attributed that to the POS new tires the Ford dealer installed. Maybe that was actually engine vibtation, too.

Do they all do that or is mine broke? Can I fix it by simply cleaning the IAC? If not I may have to use the brandnew extended warranty.

Thanks, Joe

·
Captain TMI
21,227 Posts
It's hard to figure out what it is over the internet, but I'd be suspicious of the lower motor mount for all engine vibrations. Hard accelerations could damage the mount- and everyone drives rentals like they stole them. I know I did [:D]

It would vibrate less when the AC is on because the engine speed is higher, and you'd feel it on the road at higher engine speed because the load condition is changing continuously. See if the vibration seems to be affected or initiated at steady speeds when you accel and then let off the gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We looked at the lower motor mount today and we were both surprised how much it flexes when the shifter is moved between P, R and D. And the engine appears to rock forward and back too much, too.

Do you know if Ford has a revised lower motor mount or if there is an aftermarket part that's better than stock? Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Algorhythm said:
Check c-f-m or newedgeperformance for a new lower motor mount. I have one, it totally made a difference in gear changing.
Yes, I checked that but I am waiting b/c I want to check for a TSB. Sometimes they call for revised parts when an original part is a bad design.

Also, does a rigid torque mount transmit less or more vibration from the engine to the body? Thanks! Joe

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Done a tune- up yet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do think the auto transmission would shift better with a stiffer torque mount.

Is the slow idle speed adjustable?

No, I haven't done a tune-up. I've only cleaned the throttle body and looked at the sparkplugs. I was planning on doing a tune-up at 60,000 miles. The gap on the plugs is .047. Is that within mfrs spec?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I get the same at idle......but i also get surging with the vibration....so...the vibration is not steady......always sounds like it is gonna die........grrrr

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
05 se 2.0 auto (x-rental)
Today is the first day in 2 months, since I've owned this car, I didn't use airconditioning. At a red light I felt slow idle vibration.

I have noticed a slight vibration on the highway from time to time but I attributed that to the POS new tires the Ford dealer installed. Maybe that was actually engine vibtation, too.

Do they all do that or is mine broke? Can I fix it by simply cleaning the IAC? If not I may have to use the brandnew extended warranty.

Thanks, Joe
Well I'm just not able to turn the idle adjusting screw on the throttle body without risking breaking the screw or the plastic part of the TB. I couldn't even get the cement out of the screw head.

There's no adjustment on the IAC valve like my Sentra has.

Is the only option left to go to the dealer and use the extended warranty?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have an ex-rental also (2005 ZX5 SES auto) and about 6-8k miles ago I started getting the same vibration and what I consider to be a low idle RPM (630~660). The first 15k miles were rental miles and the last 22k have been--ahem--very hard miles. I contributed it to either the tires (I eliminated), the motor mount(s) (still a possibility), and or timing. I'd probably get the aftermarket mounts anyway regardless of whether it solves the vibration problems...

·
☼
7,494 Posts
You guys do know that most people beat the crap out of rentals.. right? They probably did a bunch of neutral drops and smashed the engine against the mount.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Service advisor read 2 TSB's to me over the phone. First one stated my symptoms are normal and DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SERVICE ENGINE. Second one instructs the tech to inspect the rear torque mount for small stones/debris and install a stone shield if needed.

Yesterday I pulled the mount and bracket, and removed 2 small tar coated stones. The engine still seems to be idling to slow and the vibration is still there. I don't know if the hot idle speed is W/I spec or not so next I'm going to get that checked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts