Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have an 01 Focus ZX3 that runs pretty good. In the morning however there is a deep vibration that comes from the engine. Once the car warms up after about twenty minutes of driving (usually the next time it gets cranked during the day) it runs smooth as silk. Any Ideas on what could be causing this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My car has been doing this for a while, we figured out it needed motor mounts. All the motor mounts. Kinda a pain, but fixed the vibration. I'd check them and see how they look.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot for the info bro.. how much did the parts run you? and how hard was the job (how many hours)?

Thanks,

daniel

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the more i think about it the more I'm thinking that the motor mounts are probably the problem. How do I tell if they are indeed the culprit without actually changing them out?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
if it was your motor mounts it would always vibrate, but it could very well be 1 or 2 of them, most likely the rear one, when i had mine replaced the car drove a whole new way. But any older car that has sat over night and then turned on in the morning will drive a lil rough for a few minutes, it usually takes my car until i exit my neighborhood and get to the end of the stoplight, by then my car is warmed up and starts to sound like it should. no problem, just the usual wear of a car with 84000 miles

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure because my driveway is on an incline and i just back out in neutral. But it is worse if i rev it a little higher in neutral

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the exact same problem

I have the exact same problem. a month ago: In the morning i was getting a vibration, especially in reverse but it goes away after about 10 or 20 minutes. Now I get the vibration all the time but it's worse in the morning. I was told to let it get worse to make sure that's the problem because a lot of people will tell you a motor mount should make sounds all the time. I haven't gotten the time to replace the motor mount but check this thread I started for results for when I do replace them. I've posted your thread on mine so we can figure this out.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176445

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is RF Duratech different?

I had the infamous grinding noise on my 2003 2.3L DOHC PZEV and purchased a new RF motor mount. After I removed the bracket and mount (the mount was in two pieces and the oil was long gone) from my Focus I quickly discovered that it had a non-removable mount by design[scratch]. The bracket on mine was a cast aluminum piece open on the bottom with the motor mount captive between two horizontal pieces (all cast). Having it apart and not to be outdone, I cut out the top horizontal piece so that I could R&R the motor mount. This seems to work but is not optimal as there is very little clearance between the bottom of the mount and the horizontal aluminum. What do others do? Should i purchase the triangular steel bracket from an earlier year or are 2004 brackets different than mine? If I remember correctly my model was one of the firsts with the DOHC. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts