Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am new to the forum so please bear with me a moment, its been a long night and I had a very long scary walk home... I have an 07' Ford Focus and I totally love it! However, while driving home from work with my sleeping baby boy in the backseat, my car began to act funny. The car ebgan to act as though I let my foot off the clutch too fast & then the engine cut off completely in the middle of a 16 lane freeway! The radio, clock, all of the lights & stuff never even flickered- it all stayed on so I do not think it is battery or power related. I checked the oil that I had changed last month, and in the dark of the night I could not tell but it looked brownish in color and only went up about an inch or so on the dipstick from what I could see. I can still put the car into gear without issue and I can physically turn the key but the engine will not turn, & the key makes only a single click noise when I try to start the car. Obviously my budget is very tight being a single working mother, so any information, suggestions, insight, ideas, or thoughts on the matter woud be helpful & greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time in this matter :) Many Blessings to all!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
How many miles on the clock? I'm not an expert but if you can't crank it, my guess is that the timing broke and your engine is no more ;). Glad you and your son are OK.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
ah. Welcome to FF.

sleeping child means no music on... did you hear anything weird at all?
I thought maybe fuel but the engine would still try to turn over more than one click.
engine computer, same thing....
loss of spark same thing....

so you do have a manual right? if so did you let it coast off to the side of the road out of gear?

around an inch on the dipstick sounds like the right level.

Just from what it sounds like anyway, it could have seized. You would need to remove the spark plugs and see if the engine tries to turn that way.

How were the weather conditions? any water on the road?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Quick search about the engine and I found this:

The plastic intake manifold on early versions of the 1.8 and 2.0 has a major fault due to poor quality materials. The manifold has swirlplates mounted on a square shaft at the aperture where it mounts to the cylinder head. Early 4 cylinder Duratec engines can be ruined when the swirlplates break off and enter a cylinder. Most cases are of single swirlplates but also the shaft can wear and break. Early signs of this fault are evidenced by a ticking noise emanating from the front of the engine. This can occur as early as 25K miles, with failure typically occurring after about 90K miles.

Maybe that's the problem.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
The car ebgan to act as though I let my foot off the clutch too fast & then the engine cut off completely in the middle of a 16 lane freeway! The radio, clock, all of the lights & stuff never even flickered- it all stayed on so I do not think it is battery or power related.
Hi Amalia,

Welcome to the forum! That must have been very scary; I am glad you and your baby made it home safely. I recommend bringing your Focus to the dealer so they can figure out why everything cut out while driving. Please let me know if I can help in any way!

~Natasha

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Even though the lights or the dash never turned off or flickered. I still think you should have the battery voltage and the alternator load checked. It is very similar to a failed charging system . Every thing just shuts off. Try jump starting the car , to see if it turns over.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Even though the lights or the dash never turned off or flickered. I still think you should have the battery voltage and the alternator load checked. It is very similar to a failed charging system . Every thing just shuts off. Try jump starting the car , to see if it turns over.
I agree- I think with a jump you should be able to get that thing home. Here's a trick that will help you determine if it's a bad battery: Key OFF, press and hold the odometer trip reset, while still holding it down, turn the key to ON, and continue to hold the reset. Eventually the gauges will start jumping around, and you'll see the display show [test]. Now release the reset button, while the odometer is in test mode every time you press and release the reset button will scroll through another test mode. There are about 30 of them, but you're looking for one that looks like this [bat 12.4] or whatever your voltage might be. Even though a battery shows 12v, doesn't mean it's a good battery, and can crank the engine. Sometimes batteries lose electrolyte, still have 12v, but can't take a load. Basically, if you jump the car off, are able to drive home, see alternator volts up to 14.8v (not over) on the display, then you simply need a new battery.

Now if someone is jumping off your car, you can still do this, but you'll see higher voltage, probably about 13 or so. When you start the engine, you should see 13-14v off your own alternator if you're in test mode. Test mode won't reset unless you turn the key OFF. This can tell you if your alternator is not charging the battery. If that is the case, then you should let us know because sometimes the alternator is not the problem, and we can give you troubleshooting methods to figure if you just have a cable problem which is a lot easier and cheaper to replace than the alternator.

If the car won't jump off, double check your battery terminals. Actually, no matter what you should check those. You'd be surprised how many problems we have with loose battery terminals. You know you wrote "I know it's not the charging system or battery" so Murphy's Law says....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts