Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... first of all:

I'm Romanian.

I got my Focus from US, someone bought it for me and put it on a ship to Romania.

It's a 2000 manual SPI.

After a few months... it all started: bad idle, engine dying all of the sudden... I thought, after extensive reading, that it was all about the famous fuel pump issue. But when tested, the fuel pump does great: its PSI value is excellent. I'll list the symptoms:

1. bad, irregular idle (RPM range between 700 and 1000, never stable)
2. loss of power
3. when I hit the brakes, (car not in gear) the whole car starts shakeing, (and its not because of the ABS, it's from the engine, because one cand hear its strange irregular functioning). When coming to a stop, the shaking gets pretty rough. sometimes the engine just stops.
4. city driving - after accelerating, to... let's say... 30 mph and then decelerating by stepping of the gas and putting the car in neutral, the engine simply dies. this never happens when car is in gear.
5. low and very low MPG

sometimes the CEL comes on and the tester indicates "Cylinder 3 missfire". My mechanic fixes the missfire issue, the car runs acceptable for 30 miles. and after these 30 miles... back to symptoms 1 to 5.

I'm desperate. I'm starting to believe that I was ripped off. And I love the damn car, it's a great vehicle...

Can someone please help me with this. Any advice would be welcome. What's wrong with my car? What should I do?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
sounds like either a egr stuck open, a PCV stuck open, or a bad vacuum leak... Cyl #3 missfire can be due to a lean misfire condition...

try replacing the pcv, making sure to check the 'elbow' on the hose for it, since those are famous for splitting and creating a large vacuum leak.

next, listen for any other vacuum leaks, use a non-flammable spray to squirt in areas you think a leak may be. If the idle changes while spraying that area, it's suspect.

If either of those two don't work, try removing the EGR valve, and blocking the hole in the manifold where it came off (bolt a plate there with a homemede gasket, it's just temporary) test drive to see if that solved it, if so, replace the EGR

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had cyl 2,4 misfiring.

Actually, your problems sound EXACTLY like what I had on my 02 ZX3 mtx

Eventually, I took it in, and had the head gasket replaced.
And my car only has 68,000

After the head gasket replacement, car has ran perfect since

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's an O2 sensor man...

My 2000 ZTS auto had the same problems and it turned out to be bank1 sensor 1 02 sensor. The bad reading caused the pcm to throw more air than normal and it was running way too lean was all it was...

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
I wonder how easy it will be for you to find parts because I'm not sure that engine was used in Euro Foci.

First, go through all the routine maintenance, and do a vacuum line checkup on the car. I wouldn't pay anyone to do this because it's far too easy even for a novice. The most suspect vacuum line to be damaged is the PCV valve line. Locate both ends of it- one end is the PCV, the other end goes to the intake manifold. Remove this line and inspect the rubber parts by folding each to expose cracks. Also remove the PCV and shake it. If it rattles it is good, if not clean it with spray carb cleaner, if it still won't rattle, replace it.

I'll write more later, just in from work to eat a bite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts