Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of doing a complete engine and trans swap I have a 2003 focus I found a running 2001 focus complete donor car the guy wrecked the back end question the 01 is a zetec and my 03 is a soch how hard will it be to swap out motors

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
It shouldn't be too hard, but I think you'll get a better answer in the General Technical chat section. If I'm correct, the only difference between the earlier Zetecs and later versions were the AT and the AC accumulator/hoses. You'll want to remove the compressor that comes with your car and lay it off to the side so your AC will still work if it was working.

From my experience, it's easier to remove a FWD with the transmission attached. Also, most people forget about the ground strap that ties the intake manifold to the firewall.

Moved to General Technical Chat.

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
OH, I need better reading comprehension, or more coffee or something.

Swapping a Zetec into a SOHC is something several people have tried, but your AC hoses will likely not work which means you'll have to discharge the system if it has a charge. You'll also want to check the accumulator on the 01 to be sure that it has a fitting at on both hoses. For some reason Ford at first thought that there was no need to put a fitting there like there is on EVERY SINGLE OTHER CAR IN THE WORLD. In 2001.5 they changed it so that the accumulator can be swapped without having to replace the hose as well.

For a SOHC to Zetec swap I do believe you will need to swap the PCM and the transmission. I don't think the SOHC transmission will bolt to the Zetec. The guys in this forum will know better than I.

You have all the parts, but it might take more time than you thought.

Moved to General Technical Chat: Engine and Transmission Swap

·
FF Affiliate
30,623 Posts
Everything has to be changed , Complete wiring Engine/dash / switch ECU , Engine , trans , axles

Buy a cheap Zetec or Duratec Focus would be the better option

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts