Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 focus 2.0 auto and I bought it with a bad engine, it would crank fine and now that I have the new engine in I go to crank it and it won’t crank. Also the gear selector on the dash isn’t highlighting any gear no matter what gear I put it in. Does this need to be flashed by the dealer? Or am I just having a transmission issue. I can hear the fuel pump priming as well not sure if that’s part of the PATS system or not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The car has to be in park or neutral to crank. If it doesn't know what gear it is in, it most likely won't crank. I would chase the electrical connections to the transmission first...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 focus 2.0 auto and I bought it with a bad engine, it would crank fine and now that I have the new engine in I go to crank it and it won’t crank. Also the gear selector on the dash isn’t highlighting any gear no matter what gear I put it in. Does this need to be flashed by the dealer? Or am I just having a transmission issue. I can hear the fuel pump priming as well not sure if that’s part of the PATS system or not.
literally have the same exact problem but my car doesnt even let me move the stick from park to nautral but everything exactly the same problem doesnt highlight that its in park either

·
Registered
499 Posts
literally have the same exact problem but my car doesnt even let me move the stick from park to nautral but everything exactly the same problem doesnt highlight that its in park either
Are you using your original PCM? If you used the one from the new engine, the keys will have to be flashed to it before it will consider them as valid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you using your original PCM? If you used the one from the new engine, the keys will have to be flashed to it before it will consider them as valid.
Yep but I just switched them i didnt rewire it with the wires that come ut of the brain or ecm and ford sid thats probably why because it has to have the same wires that came with it ...so rn i have the old brain in but its connected with the new engine wires if that makes since...all we did was take the brain out of the box and swapped them ....brain=PCM

·
Registered
122 Posts
I helped my daughter swap an engine in her 96 Taurus years back. I left the harness from the wrecking yard motor as it came. Big mistake. Everything was all screwed up, when we tried to get it running.

We had to remove the engine harness from her bad motor, then put it on the wrecking yard motor going into her car.
Just a thought. Hope you get it, or got it sorted out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts