Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have 2002 focus se with bad sohc engine. change engine from ztec 2000 focus. both have auto tranny. what I did was take engine and tranny out of 2000 with 103,000 mile on it. also took wire harness, computer, ac line,exhaust from doner car to put in the 2002 se. got everything together went to start engine, won't turn over. red light above four way switch flashs fast. radio go out when you try to start engine. need some help.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
How did you deal with the transponder in the Zetec donors keys? Won't start without the transponder within 6" or so of the ignition tumbler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine won't start

put transponder key next to ignition switch, turn ignition switch to on postion red light flash fast. I did not change pat from 2000 zx3. I did change gauge cluster.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The two things that first come to mind considering the swap-do you still have the transponder in the SPI key? Two transponder chips in close proximity can cause issues.
Second, go back and re-check your grounds esp. the one from the battery to body.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check to see if I power to coil pack and mas. have power to both and check grounds. grounds are ok. going to try bypassing key switch with wire from battery to starting solenoid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to thank everyone who help me with this engine swap. had keys made at ford dealer and reprogram. car runs great thanks again for you help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cruise control don't work

did sohc switch to dohc ztec engine. car running great, don't have cruise control. replace switch in steering wheel, radio working ,horn working, shaft speed sensor working, brake switch not on. won't even turn on light on dash. now I check donor car, did not have cruise control. does the 2000 computer has to have cruise control turn on , or do I need computer out of a car with cruise control. I heard that the newer model focus have that options in the computer.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You need a cruise control clock spring. The non-cc has only two wires in the ribbon and the cc has six wires (I think!).

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm a little confused, you said you swapped a wheel in that had buttons from a car that didn't have cruise?

Did the car you swapped the engine into have cruise to start with?

Prior to '08, you need more than a wheel with buttons to add cruise...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cruise control don't work

this is what I have. 2002 se focus sohc with cruise control. took engine, tranny, wire harness, computer out of 2000 zx3 dohc without cruise control. I can not get cruise control to turn on in the 2002 se. what I want to know if the computer out of the 2000 zx3 without cruise control has to have the cruise control turn on in computer or this computer is too old to have this option in it. or do I need a computer from a car that came with cruise control.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I don't think the PCM is involved, as others have added cruise to cars of that type without any changes there.

The Cruise unit in the engine bay (that includes the cable pull for the throttle) as well as the wiring for switches/controls is necessary.

If I had to guess, the problem might be in the harness changes leaving the cruise unit not hooked up.

MkI interior section should have the best threads you can find on ADDING cruise, they might help in tracing the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the cruise control working. it was the switch in the steering wheel. ford has a 5 whole plug for cruise control, but only use 3 whole on that plug . the one on my car use the 3 pin whole to right side of plug. the switch I had, use 3 pin whole to the left. just want to thank everyone for help on my sohc to dohc switch.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Great to hear you've got it all done!

Tx for posting your final results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts