Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been left in a cold garage for about 2-3 weeks without being driven. When it came time to drive the car, the engine was very rough and jumpy. It stutters at idle and is even worse when backing up, very jerky. Could this be a problem with condensation, water in gas tank? i have went to a local store to purchase STP Water Remover and poured it into my car after a full gas fill up. It seems to run smoother after a 10 minute drive, but it still jerks a bit and the engine light is still on. Would I have to wait a bit longer for all the water to be removed and the effect to be gone? thanks in advance.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Water condensation in the tank is less of a problem now that fuel tanks - including the Focus's - are made of plastic. The effects of methyl hydrate - fuel water remover - are usually instantaneous. The obvious solution is to get the Check Engine Light (CEL) code read which will help pinpoint what the problem is. I suspect it's simply a cylinder misfire code which would mean that likely clean plugs or new plugs and wires may remedy the problem or that you have condensation or moisture in the ignition circuit somewhere. (The plastic electrical connectors can trap moisture and corrode, particularly the one near the coil pack.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Water condensation in the tank is less of a problem now that fuel tanks - including the Focus's - are made of plastic. The effects of methyl hydrate - fuel water remover - are usually instantaneous. The obvious solution is to get the Check Engine Light (CEL) code read which will help pinpoint what the problem is. I suspect it's simply a cylinder misfire code which would mean that likely clean plugs or new plugs and wires may remedy the problem or that you have condensation or moisture in the ignition circuit somewhere. (The plastic electrical connectors can trap moisture and corrode, particularly the one near the coil pack.)
Thanks for the advice, ill check again to see.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Thoughts.... Was the battery OK when you started the car again? If not , there is a relearning process triggered by battery being unhooked for a bit - dead battery could do this as well.... Dry gas should be added B4 fill up to mix better & disperse any water better. If there WAS a water issue, it might take two treatments to resolve completely. (Only occasional personal experience, seen plenty of others with more severe issues as a Northener) Checking Code is the best suggestion, and the wire connector possibility is a good place to look if the code is appropriate for that, as mentioned, the boots that keep water out can keep condensation in as well if it occurs & creeps in there..... From personal experience, garages camn produce LOTS of condensation on metal with daily temperature changes, especially if they aren`t particularly dry to begin with..... Luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Posted via FF Mobile Thoughts.... Was the battery OK when you started the car again? If not , there is a relearning process triggered by battery being unhooked for a bit - dead battery could do this as well.... Dry gas should be added B4 fill up to mix better & disperse any water better. If there WAS a water issue, it might take two treatments to resolve completely. (Only occasional personal experience, seen plenty of others with more severe issues as a Northener) Checking Code is the best suggestion, and the wire connector possibility is a good place to look if the code is appropriate for that, as mentioned, the boots that keep water out can keep condensation in as well if it occurs & creeps in there..... From personal experience, garages camn produce LOTS of condensation on metal with daily temperature changes, especially if they aren`t particularly dry to begin with..... Luck!
the battery was ok when I started the car, the stutter is barely noticeable now, but can still can be noticed if you pay a lot of attention. the engine light still remains on. i'll probably have the engine light checked tomorrow. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine light is gone now, and you can barely notice the engine stutter. Should I still get it checked by the mechanic?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts